Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

VirtualBox Help when trying to join the worker node to the master node.

Hi,

I'm know I have the token and sha value right for the master and it's IP address.

I remember seeing something about Promiscuous mode.

What are the recommended settings for this to work in virtualbox as there are many virtual networks that can be created.

It says my nodes can't see each other, but I can ping them from each other. I'm using NAT right now.

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155
    edited April 2019

Hi,

This is a solution I posted about a year ago, and it is not revised for newer versions of VirtualBox and Kubernetes or VM sizes. Make sure you follow the latest lab version for recommended VM sizes. However, I believe the steps in general still apply today:

"......
    vBox 5.2.8
    1. Created 2 VMs, 2 GB each
    2. Adapter 1 ONLY - Bridged interface on each (Allow All)
    3. Installed Ubuntu 16 and vbox guest additions
    4. ip a (or ifconfig) outputs showed different enp0s3 IPs for each Ubuntu instance: master 10.0.0.50 and second 10.0.0.125
    5. ufw status -> inactive (I did not have to do anything here)
    6. nc to test inter-node communication, messages were delivered successfully from master to second and second to master
    7. swapoff -a
    8. commented out swap in /etc/fstab

All steps in labs 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 completed successfully, except Lab 3.3 Step 6, where I was able to access the nginx page, from a browser on my Host machine, only on the :32056, which in my case was 10.0.0.50:32056.

With NAT only I was not able to get anywhere, because like you said, the VM instances were not able to communicate with each other.
    ......"

Hope it helps,

-Chris

• btanoue
    btanoue Posts: 59

Chris,

So My home network is a 192.x network. I setup Calico following the direction on the 192.x network. Will this still work? I'm asking because if I bridge this to my host wifi card, it shows as a VM on my home network.

Thanks,
    Bryan

• chrispokorni

I remember reading about a similar scenario somewhere (stackoverflow, or somewhere else...) and the solution was to use a different network for calico. When doing so, before running kubeadm init... first make sure you edit the calico.yaml file to change it there, and then the same network should be provided in the kubeadm init... command. This should resolve the conflicting/overlapping networks.
    -Chris

• btanoue

Hmmm. I might just move to the 10 network for now. Not like I have anything running in production...LOL.

• btanoue

Ugh, my router will not allow me to use anything other then 192.x...I feel like I'm fighting every step with this so far....

• btanoue

So Do I have to start over again since I don't know how to remove Calico and the Rbac thing?

• btanoue

I need help on Chapter 3 Step 9 on how to remove Calico and Rbac. I think I can edit Calico to use the 10 network, but I have no idea to to remove it. Help please.

• btanoue

Tried the reset as a last resort and seems to work. Edited the calico to move it to the 10.0.0.0/16 network. After that I got the worker node to join the cluster.

• chrispokorni

That was going to be my suggestion too. Glad it works now.

• btanoue

Yeah, you helped me get in the right direction. I feel this lab should really have dedicated sections to setups like Virtualbox because it is even mentioned as one of the ways you can take the class since they don't provide an actual cloud instance for us to use. I feel other people would get stuck here too.

• btanoue

So I ended up using Bridged Adapter. My home/lab network is on 192 so I had to edit calico to be on the 10 network. It was the only way I could get it to work. And no, it isn't documented anywhere....

• chrispokorni
    edited April 2019

Hi,
    If you scroll up in this discussion thread you will find a solution I posted on how to setup vbox, it was April 8 and has about 8 steps in it. That configuration worked for me at the time when tested.
    Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training