Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help with enabling USB connected wifi device with BackTrack 5 R3

I decided to use my second computer as my designated Backtrack 5 R3 computer, but unfortunately it's in the basement and is unable to get a wired connection.

I have been using a USB WiFi adaptor for the computer for the past two years, and it works fine on Windows but not Backtrack.

Please note that I am not running BackTrack 5 R3 on a VM, it is installed alongside my other operating system(s)...

Anyhow, I put in the disc for my WiFi adaptor and installed the software for it, but it won't run the program(I wasn't too surprised by this), so I can't enter my network details to connect to the internet the way I normally would.

I am still new to Linux, so how should I go about this problem?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• FanceGeek
    FanceGeek Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Hello! I know a solution. The reason for that may be windows/mac only compatibility! No worries! For most wireless USB adapters, a software may not be needed. I recommended purchasing a net gear wireless adapter. The software will be only for windows/mac. Though it does not need a software to connect. Meaning it does not need the "Netgear network genie" application. Just plug it into your PC or desktop and it should work as a standalone without any software to be installed. Then normally use the operating system you use network config settings and connect to the internet and it should work! If you have a network adapter try it with out the software as a standalone.
  • linuxmen
    linuxmen Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
  • @betarunner said:
    I decided to use my second computer as my designated Backtrack 5 R3 computer, but unfortunately it's in the basement and is unable to get a wired connection.

I have been using a USB WiFi adaptor for the computer for the past two years, and it works fine on Windows but not Backtrack.

Please note that I am not running BackTrack 5 R3 on a VM, it is installed alongside my other operating system(s)...

Anyhow, I put in the disc for my WiFi adaptor and installed the software for it, but it won't run the program(I wasn't too surprised by this), so I can't enter my network details to connect to the internet the way I normally would.

I am still new to Linux, so how should I go about this problem?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks!

Then normally use the operating system you use network config settings and connect to the internet and it should work! If you have a network adapter try it with out the software as a standalone.

Categories

Upcoming Training