Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Time needed for preparing LFCS and/or LFCE

Hi Guys

Last year black Friday i bought LFCS and LFCE but and due to some personal issue i didn't find time to prepare and pass both.
This year there is a Cyber Monday promotion again and i don't know if it is worth to buy both of them again or only buy LFCS.

I use Linux in my Work as a production/integration engineer but i'm more focused on middlewares (Tomcat, Jboss, Docker , Jenkins , Rundeck, ansible , etc.), Sadly i don't go deep as a sys admin...

So my question is , do i buy bought LFCS and LFCE again and a year is enough to prepare and pass both even do i'am not a sys admin in my work ? or should i focus only on LFCS this year and give my self time to prepare and pass it first ?

Thanks in advance for you help :)
Omar,

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

That's impossible for anyone but you to answer. If you had a year and did not get around to preparing and taking either exam, I'm not sure what makes you think it makes sense to repeat the experience. Whatever problems you had, a year is a long time to not get around to it. It would make more sense to go for LFCS first (it is a lot easier than LFCE) before deciding to go for LFCE. But only you can answer why you want the certification, how it will help you, and how much it is worth to you in time and money to do it. Good luck in your decision

• @coop said:
    That's impossible for anyone but you to answer. If you had a year and did not get around to preparing and taking either exam, I'm not sure what makes you think it makes sense to repeat the experience. Whatever problems you had, a year is a long time to not get around to it. It would make more sense to go for LFCS first (it is a lot easier than LFCE) before deciding to go for LFCE. But only you can answer why you want the certification, how it will help you, and how much it is worth to you in time and money to do it. Good luck in your decision

Thank you so much for your answer! I have 2 goals :

• Understand and master Linux basics , administration and advanced administration through LFCS and LFCE.
    • Then start improving my C skills and get the Linux Developer Certification

i want and in the next 6 years (before the age of 40 max), to participate in the kernel with at least one commit, i want to help the community as much as the community helped me and my main goal is to always be an open source evangelist.

Right now with my full work job i agree with you and LFCE will be a hard goal to achieve after finishing LFCS.

Thank you again :smile:

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

Actually there is no such thing as "Linux Developer Certification" in the sense of kernel work etc. Certification is all on the System Engineer side of things. And the more you know about your systems and admin the better, but admins don't need to know C and kernel developers are varied as to their experience. There are plenty of important kernel developers who would probably not pass LFCE exam. There are really two different roads here.

• @coop said:
    Actually there is no such thing as "Linux Developer Certification" in the sense of kernel work etc. Certification is all on the System Engineer side of things. And the more you know about your systems and admin the better, but admins don't need to know C and kernel developers are varied as to their experience. There are plenty of important kernel developers who would probably not pass LFCE exam. There are really two different roads here.

Humm , i see... thanks for the clarification.

Categories

Upcoming Training