Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Exam Preparation Material

What did everyone use for test prep material?

Was going through the labs and course enough?

Comments

• Tokinux
    Tokinux Posts: 1
    edited November 2018

Hi. I've just take the exam and No, the course is not enough. Example: In the course Iptables is not explained because it's almost obsolete but during the exam there was a question about it.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

This has been extensively discussed in this forum in the past as to why LFS211 is where iptables are extensively discussed and not here. Please search the archives. Short answer, too much material already and the training staff does not write or even see the exams.

• Going trhough the labs and course is not enough! I just took my cert exam and failed! forget about iptables, you need 1 year of practice in a real environment to come even close to an acceptable level, the exam is super dense! I read Unix and Linux Handbook for System Administrators, Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, and How Linux Works, Knowledge wise i felt very good during the exam, but it's not a knowledge test it's a practical test! Good luck with yours, I will have to get more practice and pay again!

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

In case you did not notice, you get one free **retake **of the exam!!! So you can always view the first taking as practice and in fact if you relax more you may find it easier to pass. The second taking is free! to repeat.

Specific complaints or questions about exam content have to be placed with the certification team, not the LFS201 forum. We do not write the exam or have specific knowledge of the contents. There is a firewall between the two staffs. We rely on the same public documents as students do about exam expectations.

There are full details about what to do to prepare at the LF training certification pages, so please re-read those. We make it clear from day one that this is a practical exam, no multiple choice type questions, all hands on. Finally I understand the rquired grade to pas is not that high, something like 70 percent, so there is plenty of room to get quite a bit wrong and still pass.

We also make it clear that other knowledge, such as what you would get my taking the free of charge LFS101x course at edx.org should be seen as a pre-requistite, as important topics such as editors, getting help, and bash scripting are required and we cannot possibly cover that in one course. If we really tried to cover EVERYTHING that might come up in the exam (and much of it is not going to) you would need to take two courses at least the length of LFS201 and pay twice as much. We don't want people to have to incur so much expense.

Finally, if you haven't learned from this course to frequently research things on the Internet for more information than is in this slice of knowledge, you have not gotten the message :)

So please do more preparation and try again.

• ekehkay
    ekehkay Posts: 1

Please how do I get the handout and essential materials for this exam?

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

You should have them available in your portal, and you should also have received all necessary information in the confirmation email when you purchased the exam. You can also find details here: https://training.linuxfoundation.org/certification/linux-foundation-certified-sysadmin-lfcs/

Categories

Upcoming Training