Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I also want to abandon Windows10 due to infestation of apps

RosieRabbit
RosieRabbit Posts: 1
edited November 2017 in New to Linux

I've just got a small laptop purely for writing blogs/articles etc - I only want Open Office and Firefox to be installed on it. It's got 4gb RAM and a 32gb hard drive. Annoyingly it is infested with apps that are of no use at all and the damn things keep reinstalling and as a result I am down to 10gb!!

A friend suggested Linux and I wondered what would be the best way of installing it and getting rid of Windows permanently. Does the Linux OS use a lot of disc space?

I'd be grateful for any help (in simple terms!) before I write to Mr Gates in a not very nice way!!

Many thanks

Comments

• Actually, no most linux distros are... 2-4gb in size on disc, they get a little larger when you install the extras like media codecs (MP3 and the likes). Completely installed and uncompressed your looking at maybe 8gb for a full linux desktop. I'd suggest looking at Mint Linux, Lubuntu, or Bodhi Linux. Those are some of the lightest linux distros I'm aware of.

• But is there an option to wipe out the Windows OS, and replace it with Linux OS?

• Yes, a Light weight Linux would be good for that system. I run Linux Lite and really like it. You would run a Live version of the distro you choose. Google instructions on how to create a bootable USB. Once you boot into the OS, there is usually a button or some easily recognizable means of installing it permanently - Like an "Install Linux Lite" icon on the desktop. This will walk you through the install selecting your language and keyboard etc. Just take the default and let Linux use the entire disk and it will format it, set up the file system and in a few short minutes, you'll be running a full blown Linux laptop.

• @dday35216 said:
    Yes, a Light weight Linux would be good for that system. I run Linux Lite and really like it. You would run a Live version of the distro you choose. Google instructions on how to create a bootable USB. Once you boot into the OS, there is usually a button or some easily recognizable means of installing it permanently - Like an "Install Linux Lite" icon on the desktop. This will walk you through the install selecting your language and keyboard etc. Just take the default and let Linux use the entire disk and it will format it, set up the file system and in a few short minutes, you'll be running a full blown Linux laptop.

Hi!

Is Linux Lite a distros? Would you know if other distros, like Linux Zorin OS, have the option for permanent installation? This is a scary process since I'm scared if I'll actually like Linux. I've never tried it.

I've also heard you can "test" it out before doing the installation. Is that right?

Your response was very helpful, thanks so much!

• Yes, you can test Zorin, Mint and several others that I have used over the years. You should go to distrowatch.com. In the top left part of the home page is a drop down list of most distros. Look at the ones you're thinking about and then go to that distros page. There you will find links to screenshots, what software is installed by default, where to download a copy, etc, There's a wealth of information there. On the Zorin install page, it walks you through choosing which version, how to create a bootable copy and then whether to choose install or try before installing.

• @dday35216
    Thank you so much, you've been truly helpful. I appreciate your words being simple enough so I can understand :)

Categories

Upcoming Training