Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ex-Vista Noob Needs Help

hi, my 2 yr old vista just quit on me. i had no user account password and only used my admin account and after a system restore, vista decided to create a password for me and i can no longer get in. i just ordered a dell mini with ubuntu i'll recieve in 3 weeks and i was wondering if there is a way an unskilled noob like me could install linux on my pc without deleting the vista until i figure out a way to retrieve my data locked away in vista.

i have zero knowledge of linux so i'll need something thats easy to do.

any suggestions?

thanks

Nuvie

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I've installed Fedora 11 as a dual boot on a couple of Vista machines and Fedora created a Windows choice in grub successfully both times. Although I've never tried Ubuntu myself, I hear that it does an equally good job. Maybe some of the others hear on the forum can chime in with their experiences.
    The problem is if you don't have access to Vista, and can't run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter you might have problems when you shrink the Vista Partition. Just something to keep in mind. An old Vista machine could have files spread all over the hard disk.
    Already this will be non-noob friendly operation. You might need to remove the files first by using a Live Linux CD, mounting the windows partitions, and retrieving the files you want to save before trying to install Linux.
    I'll see if I can find an easy how-to for you and return with a link. Maybe someone else here can help if they know of a link with noob-friendly instructions.

Edit: Link on how to access Vista without a password.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4701038_access-vista-password.html
    If this works for you, it will make your life much easier.
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    I have used SystemRescueCD in similar cases. It has an NT Password retrieval tool on the disc that comes in handy, and it can also just blank the password and let you back into your system. Otherwise, Ubuntu will resize your windows partition(s) and make space for itself during the install procedure. You will still be able to access your windows system (after you sort out the password problem).

I wish you luck. I use Macintosh, Linux, and Windows (BSD and Minix as well but mostly as toys), when each is needed. Windows and Linux are perhaps as different as operating systems can get, and I know that the transition can be insanely difficult. There are several different blogs that have posted migration tips that you may find handy. A quick google search would be useful.
  • wow! your all good!
  • ford wrote:
    I have used SystemRescueCD in similar cases. It has an NT Password retrieval tool on the disc that comes in handy, and it can also just blank the password and let you back into your system. Otherwise, Ubuntu will resize your windows partition(s) and make space for itself during the install procedure. You will still be able to access your windows system (after you sort out the password problem).

I wish you luck. I use Macintosh, Linux, and Windows (BSD and Minix as well but mostly as toys), when each is needed. Windows and Linux are perhaps as different as operating systems can get, and I know that the transition can be insanely difficult. There are several different blogs that have posted migration tips that you may find handy. A quick google search would be useful.

thanks guys, I used the NT password retrieval earlier and problem is, under user account and password, it showed no accounts which i guess means my account was actually deleted and it was the only account on the pc as i was the only user.

i installed ubunto 9.04 after a few installs and reinstalls to change preference, i have it working to my liking. love it. i hate myself for not doing it earlier. now i'm even happier i chose ubuntu 8.04 rather than windows on the netbook i have coming in the mail.

i was in the hunt for a C++ compiler and i could not figure out how to get the file i needed for GCC because all the directories had multiple files and folders with no explanation on what was what.

i got netbeans from sun. i know its an IDE but i dont know if it has a compiler or a way to output the program which i need in a class in school. in windows, all my C++ in windows outputted to a DOS/like environment so i'm wondering if i'll have the same with netbeans or anything else on linux. any ideas?

thanks
    Nuvie
  • The gnu compiler collection is called gcc :
    http://gcc.gnu.org/
    you can use it to compile your C++ code for you. It is in the main ubuntu repositories for download and installation.

Whilst gcc is free software, Intel also do a compiler suite that compiles C++ code :
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-compilers/
    it is not however; free software.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Use the GCC compiler, it'll make RMS smile.
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    'sudo apt-get install build-essential'

on *buntu this will install gcc for you. personally I prefer geany as my IDE but many people enjoy emacs, vim, netbeans, or kdevelop. as you continue you will find what's right for you, no doubt.
  • ford wrote:
    'sudo apt-get install build-essential'

on *buntu this will install gcc for you. personally I prefer geany as my IDE but many people enjoy emacs, vim, netbeans, or kdevelop. as you continue you will find what's right for you, no doubt.

i'm new to this so still learning. how do i get to the place where i'll have to type "sudo apt-get install build-essential"?

please help

nUVIE
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The terminal can be found in applications -> accessories -> Terminal
  • mfillpot wrote:
    The terminal can be found in applications -> accessories -> Terminal

thank you sir, now have a working c++ IDE and compiler.

so much for ordering a $900 windows dell last night for school.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Since you are using ubuntu you will soon get used to the developer's methods in package management, compiling and their choice of default apps.

If you are looking for a development based distro, I would highly recommend giving Slackware a try, maybe in a virtual machine, by defualt Slackware installs a nice list of compilers and libraries, it also includes the source code for all included apps on the install DVD. It is geared toeards the more knowedgable users, but with you working on programming you can get great use out of it as a compiler and instructional system.

Categories

Upcoming Training