Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

change desktop

Greetings. New here, so far love Linux.
How do I put my own desktop photo or image on to replace the Linux one?

Comments

• (Not sure I fully understand this.) Try RIGHT click on the current desktop picture. Does this bring up Desktop Preferences and then Wallpaper Image file?

• Hi.

When I right click on the desktop it brings up a box with this in it:
    run command

• add widgets
    • add panel
      ...activities
      lock widgets
      lock screen
      leave
      configure desktop

Can I set Linux so when I get a reply here, it notifies me?

Thanks for any help or advice

• I guess you could say it does bring up Desktop Preferences and Wallpaper Image file because I did change the desktop from their menu to one of their photos

• No one knows how? ALL these computer companies or whatever have their own special way to do things where there are easy common accepted ways to do those things. Is it an ego thing? Surprised that no one has changed from the Linux desktop choices to one of their own. I wish I were a geek.

• gunix
    gunix Posts: 8

@robvacan said:
    Greetings. New here, so far love Linux.
    How do I put my own desktop photo or image on to replace the Linux one?

Hello Rob,

If you want to change your wallpaper, the way to do it will depends on the Desktop Environment you are using. Considering the variety offered by open source, you have multiple options. Some of the most notable desktop environments are:

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • Cinnamon
    • MATE
    • XFCE
    • Budgie

Most of the Linux distributions offer the option to install one of these desktop environments. For minimalist setups, a Window Manager can be used, which is far less complex than a Desktop Environment.

In order for us to be able to help you, it would be great if you told us if you know which Desktop Environment you are using, so that we can provide the required steps to change the wallpaper.

Best Regards,
    gunix

• Mine is KDE.

I have little idea what any of this is. As silly as this sounds, if my ex wife
    cant put her favorite horse photo on her desktop, she'll stick with windows.
    See why divorce is sometimes the right move?

I appreciate your help

• Which version of Linux are you using?

Ubuntu here: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/gs-change-wallpaper.html.en

• gunix
    gunix Posts: 8

@robvacan said:
    Mine is KDE.

I have little idea what any of this is. As silly as this sounds, if my ex wife
    cant put her favorite horse photo on her desktop, she'll stick with windows.
    See why divorce is sometimes the right move?

I appreciate your help

New KDE versions allow you to drag and drop a picture onto the desktop in order to set it as a wallpaper.

• I will try that and hope I have the new version. Thank you

Categories

Upcoming Training