Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 32.3

udoyen
udoyen Posts: 4

In this lab we have the following:

1. Login as rocky. Create a directory called somedir and set the group ownership to bosses. (Using chgroup which will be discussed
    in the next session.)
    (You will probably need to add execute privileges for all on rocky’s home directory.)
  2. Login as bullwinkle and try to create a file in /home/rocky/somedir called somefile using the touch command.
    Can you do this? No, because of the group ownership and the chmod a+x on the directory.

I have two issues here:

1. How does adding execution for all stop bullwinkle from creating that directory, and
  2. Is this a typo "chgroup" instead of "chgrp"

Comments

• Please note I am referring to lab 31.1 in my post!

• Hi udoyen,

Yes, the command should be "chgrp". I'll check the other items and will let you know.

Regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

yes, this is fixed in next version.

The purpose of chmod +x on a directory is to make it accessible to others besides the owner -- it is overloading the executable bit in a sense. However, I am having trouble getting this lab to work on a RHEL/CentOS system, which is a separate issue -- after adding a group to a user it doesn't show up when you type "groups" while it is in /etc/group, and thus the chgrp command fails. I will debug more when I have more time. On Ubuntu it all works fine.

Categories

Upcoming Training