Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help with attaching CentOS VM image to VMPlayer

Kww118
Kww118 Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in LFS211 Class Forum

I'm having trouble attaching the pre-built CentOS VM image to VMPlayer.  I untarred the file and found a very small ~1kB .vmxf file, but when I open VMPlayer and click 'Open Virtual Machine', the .vmxf file cannot be found when searching for 'all supported files'.  When I search for 'all files' and select the .vmxf file, I get the following error:  Failed to open virtual machine.  VMX file is corrupt.

Does anyone have any tips on how to untar this file?  I'm using 7-zip on a Windows 10 host, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having a challange with the VM.  Your 7zip  "should" extract the files correctly. There is a checksum on the web site you can use to verify the tar file downloaded correctly. When the tar file is extracted you should have the files as listed below, PLEASE NOTE, the files may be slightly different sizes depending on the version. You should see 5 files.  

[lee@thing CentOS7]$ ls -l 

total 7476248

-rw-------. 1 lee lee       8684 Jun  4 09:29 CentOS7.nvram

-rw-r--r--. 1 lee lee 7655653376 Jun  4 09:29 CentOS7.vmdk

-rw-r--r--. 1 lee lee          0 May 10 10:02 CentOS7.vmsd

-rwxr-xr-x. 1 lee lee       2524 Jun  4 09:29 CentOS7.vmx

-rw-r--r--. 1 lee lee        262 Jun  4 09:06 CentOS7.vmxf

When using VMPlayer, slect Opena Virtual Machine -> Slect the directory with the 5 files in it -> and VMPlayer should show you the VMX file, select it and VMPlayer should find the rest of the files. 

I hope this helps. 

• Kww118
    edited July 2018

Lee,

Thanks for the response.  I downloaded the MD5SUMS file and don't know how to open it... I get the prompt to open the file with Adobe, IE, iTunes, etc..After doing a Google search for the file name, I still can't figure out how to open it.  Can you give me a little guidance on how to open the MD5SUM file?

On a separate note, the help file contains this statement below, I assume this is done from the command line?

The file MD5SUMS contains checksums. You can check the
    integrity of your downloaded file by doing:

md5sum A_VIRT_MACHINE.tar.bz2
  • Kww118

Hi Lee,

I downloaded the MD5SUM file but couldn't open it.  I'm getting prompted to open it with Adobe, IE, iTunes, etc...but I know that's not right.  Can you provide some guidance on how to open this file?  I'm pretty new at this stuff, so I apologize for the basic questions.

On a separate note, the help file contains this comment below. Is this done from the command line?
    The file MD5SUMS contains checksums. You can check the
    integrity of your downloaded file by doing:

md5sum A_VIRT_MACHINE.tar.bz2

Thanks,

Ken

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

The MD5SUMS file is pure text, you can open it in any text editor.  We realized that Windows is rather dum and determines file type by extension name rather than inspection, so you will also see an identical file in the same directory called MD5SUMS.txt that windows should be able to understand.  I had one other student lately complaining about 7zip failing to work right.  Maybe a different compression program would be helpful.  

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited July 2018

Actually there is  a problem decompressing the file with 7zip, there is a bug.  Please use the 4.16 images in a subdirectory where that one was -- they are just fine for your purposes and are compressed with gzip and should be easy to use.  Sorry for the confusion.

Categories

Upcoming Training