Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Acer Aspire One

I have been using different flavours of Linux now for a while and seemed to have settle for Mint as my favourite. Recently though I bought a note book and Mint doesn't handle the graphics very well and the juddery screen is giving me a headache. :S

What's the best distro for a note book? All I really do is graze the net and word process.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    This is a question of preferences.

Are you looking for a distro with apt-like capabilities, what window manager do you want and are you willing to manual install drivers if necessary?
  • If you boys and girls here are willing to help me manually install everything I'm willing to try anything!

I don't know what an apt like capability is and I guess as Nautilus is the only window manager I think I have ever used, it'll have to be that.

Are you thinking Fluxbox? I'm game.
  • clarkw
    clarkw Posts: 3
    What distros have you tried?
    Why did you settle on Mint?
    This might give us direction to steer you toward.
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 60
    Use slackware, it works on everything :)

-- small, easy to use, fast etc..

edit:

You may have to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.M
    to make it do certain things upon boot..
    (like go straight into Xwindows) and
    90 % of everything is cmd line related :)
    so u get good on linux reel quick
  • I tried Grannular, which was OK but there wasn't enough support for a noobie like I am and was then. OpenSuse didn't last long and neither did PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu's Graphics support didn't work on my old machine and Sabyon's menu's were all over the place, Mandriva was OK but I got bored somehow. I think I settled on Mint because it was blindingly easy to install, it includes pretty standard stuff (open Office etc), it is easy to use and it has everything I need from a ditro, which isn't that much.

My problems would be solved if Mint supported my graphics card, (the card on the notebook is so small its not worth commenting on), I can't tell you what it is.

• With a notebook it really comes down to the video and wireless cards IMHO. Also, as far as your requirements go you can pair down any distribution and not load up all the software apps that are available at installation.

I run Ubuntu on my laptops because of the sheer ease it is easy to install, the fact that they have tools that already handle a good chunk of proprietary hardware/drivers (think Broadcom wireless cards and ATI video cards), and the community resources are massive. I've run various Ubuntu flavors on my laptops for the past 3 years.

But that's just my two cents. I've also run openSUSE and Fedora.

:)
  • Well... you got a couple of options here for AAO...

Try UNR ( Ubuntu netbook remix) if you want a stable no nonsense distro with minimal headache

Try Jolicloud , If you like a fancy netbook OS with web apps like gmail,twitter etc. available as desktop apps.based on UNR . Send me a note if you want an invitation to download it.

Try Moblin, if you are ready to tweak around a bit and compile a few drivers for a couple of components ..If at they are not available

Try Google OS , If you can wait till the end of the year

All these distros are optimized for Atom 270 processors to large extent . Choppy youtube videos is common problem across due to lax support provided by Adobe on it Flash 10 binary so far till rc 32 I updated last week. Other open source flash libraries like gnash and swfdec have more problems.

my personal choice -- Moblin

/RK
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I agreee with Ajay, I use slackware and the level of default support is amazing, the fact that the configs are done in command line and text files is a plus for be because I can script any action and keep comments documenting every change that I do on the system.

The apt-like capabiliies I was referring to is when your "add/remove programs" function is able to search an online database of applications and automatically download and install them. Slackware does not do this, it is very manual, but there are some third-party slackware applications that replicate the functionality minus the dependancy resolution.

If I rememeber correctly, fluxbox and xfce and installed by default in slackware.
  • tanks all good post it help me alot
    1422551049.jpg

Categories

Upcoming Training