Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Second X Server fglrx problems

So, I have been researching and scouring the internet for ages now, but seem to only find people with a case not so similar to mine.

I have openSUSE 11.0 and 2.6.25.20 pae linux kernel.

The problem I am having is with the fglrx drivers. It was hard to figure out if this is the right forum category to post in, but whatever.

The problem is, the first and original X server that spawns on my computer works just fine, 3D acceleration and all that good stuff, and is quite nice. I am having troubles, however, spawning a second X server, whether by the command:

xinit -- :1

or

X :1

and etc.

When I add the -probeonly flag, it shows:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux linux 2.6.25.20-0.4-pae #1 SMP 2009-06-01 09:57:12 +0200 i686
Build Date: 28 July 2008 10:14:56PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Aug 18 01:37:14 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) fglrx(0): vm86() syscall generated signal 11.
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

You see, when I have searched the internet, I have found that people have had this same issue, and say it may have to do with a number of things, but they have always had the issue "completely", in that they cant start X at all. I can start x, so somewhere along the line it works out. That is the part that confuses me.

I use kde, so I know that Xorg is spawned by kdm. Is it possible that kdm passes certain flags that make it work? If so, is there a way to find out what it passes?

And if not, does anyone have any clue why it can spawn a first X server but not a second?

Thanks,

wolf1oo

Comments

• amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 60
    heh

That's the awesome of ATI. However....

I had that problem aswell, my solution was removing any previous video driver from the kernel prior to installing that one :) In my case, it just didn't play well with others for some strange reason

As you should know, the drivers do infact come with an uninstaller -- So, my suggestion would be: Go in the SuSE 'package' tool, look for any other video drivers -- Disselect them, run the ATI uninstaller utility which will remove THAT driver and reboot -- which will put you in console as obvious as it is, you have no video drivers.

cd to where your ati driver is located, reinstall, write out the new Xorg configuration file and reboot.

I'm not absolutely sure of your situation, but this is how I finagled it into working -- However, mine was only a test -- I'd never use ATI mainstream. :)

Good luck
  • amnesia
    I think that 'code' code breaks the forum, heh. jeez I cant even read everything you wrote O_O

Heh,

Known Issues
    The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of ATI Proprietary Linux driver. These issues include:
    Running two X servers simultaneously results in the system failing to respond.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx
  • wolf1oo
    wolf1oo Posts: 2
    well, i tried your advice and went and uninstalled all graphics drivers, and fglrx, then reinstalled fglrx, but nothing doing. ah well.... i just wish this would be fixed soon. I've been eagerly awaiting the next kernel update, but it looks as if openSUSE may have given up on 11.0 and are concentrating on 11.1. Which would mean I will need to compile it myself. Always fun :D

and yeah, the `code` block really kills the forum geez
  • amnesia
    Yeah, ATI linux drivers just really suck - As a matter of opinion and obvious rants and raves on the internet, lol. Anyway -- Good luck with your problem, have fun.

-ajay

Categories

Upcoming Training