Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Vantec NexStar CX USB HDD Enclosure

atreyu
atreyu Posts: 216

Does anyone have one of these, in either the 2.5 or 3.5 variety?

I'm curious about:

[ul]

[li]the chipset that it uses[/li]

[li]I/O thruput[/li]

[li]gotchas...[/li]

[/ul]

thanks!

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Have you checked on the manufacturer's web site for technical specs? This is not an enclosure I'm familiar with. Mostly I use StarTech enclosures.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    woboyle wrote:
    Have you checked on the manufacturer's web site for technical specs? This is not an enclosure I'm familiar with. Mostly I use StarTech enclosures.
    Yeah, I checked - their website did not have much in the way of details. I am interested in performance (specifically write speed), and a colleague told me he got ~45MB/sec (using a 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar) with the 2.5" variety of these, very nice. Meanwhile, I am seeing ~25-30MB/sec using the same drive with other enclosures (don't have them in front of me, and can't remember the models). Anyway, I need capacity >=1 TB, so I need a 3.5" solution, and wasn't sure if their 3.5" and 2.5" enclosures use the same chipset - I assume so, but was just wondering...thanks.
  • imwithid
    imwithid Posts: 1
    I haven't been able to test the transfer rates as I have just installed the external drive. One thing I have noticed, and cannot find a solution to, is that it does not work with Ubuntu. I have tried it with Karmic 9.10 and Lucid 10.04 Alpha 3 with no success. I will try it on my laptop next and see if it is a hardware issue on my desktop. If it does not work on either, it is possible that it si the hard drive that it cannot detect.

Categories

Upcoming Training