Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS201: 2.23 /tmp encountered the following issue

fszm
fszm Posts: 8

Hello, after reading LFS201: 2.23 /tmp encountered the following issue

I found it interesting to go ahead and disable the ability by application to write to the /tmp

executing the following cmnd (systemctl mask tmp.mount) and then rebooting presented no issues with the provided class vm CentOS7.

I did the same cmnd on my other personal vm OpenSUSE. after rebooting my NIC cards are no longer available. I do see 

lo

I attempted to roll back the cmnd simply by guessing unmask portion and it seems like the cmnd is available, however

executing as su or sudo offered the following error 

Failed to execute operation: Read-only file system

This does make sense.

How do i properly rollback and is it possible that the NIC card files on OpenSUSE need access to /tmp

Thank you

Comments

• fszm
    edited September 2017

I confirmed, executing systemctl mask tmp.mount removes NIC's from OpenSUSE.

trouble ataching screenshots so please see the links from amazon cloud drive

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/vYpkSMR1ybgUb7ZBg2QFzYQG29BLlxi4LKoUclel8uU

Thanks 

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited September 2017

systemctl mask tmp.mount

prevents the system from mount /tmp in memory, using tmpfs, and makes it a directory on disk again.  

systemcl status tmp.mount 

will show current situation., and df -h /tmp should show you where /tmp/ is mounted.

neither systemctl mount/unmount command takes effect until a reboot, so please try rebooting.

This has nothing to do with your NIC.  it just has to do with putting files on /tmp/  I'm not sure why

it didn't work but at least try rebooting.

• fszm
    edited September 2017

Hi coop, I rebooted as soon as i executed the command, exactly based on the course instrcutions, then after reboot i was not able to ssh back to my vm. so thats when it all began.

Just as an FYI: this did not happen with LF provided OpenSUSE vm but with self built vm 

Thanks for the reply, i will see if i can create a video and duplicate this again. 

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited September 2017

the error message is te4lling you NOTHING about NICs.  It si talking about being unable to write to file system.

What would be useful is looking at the outpuot of

df -T

and 

mount

To see what filesystems are mounted where with what options.  I don't know what went wrong.  You can also try to remount with rw ability as in

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

or you can try /tmp instead of / etc.

Categories

Upcoming Training