Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Acer Aspire 5739 & nVidia GeForce GT 130M

Hi..

i am kinda new at this, but i am in need of a new laptop, that is compatible with linux, (because i am studing computer science) and i was wondering if Acer Aspirte 5739 will work with linux?

Acer Aspire 5739

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile

(3MB L2 cache, 2.00 GHz)

Chipset: Mobile Intel PM45 Express

Memory: 4GB (2/2) DDR3 1066

Storage: 500GB* hard drive

Video: nVidia GeForce GT 130M

Is the nVidia Geforce GT 130M compatible with any linux version?

--------------------------------------------------

do you have any other laptops that you would recommend?

what i need is:

- 350 Gb hard drive or more

- not make alot of noise

but most important thing is that it has to work good with linux.

can anyone please help me?

Thank you for the help (in advance)!!

Comments

• Hi...the hardware portion of the laptop is not a problem. The graphics card however still is popping up in the community with issues.

Read this forum post and it will give you a good overview:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226485&highlight=GT+130M

Reference your other requirements most laptops do not make noise. It really depends on your budget. I personally like HP as they have a good build and are dependable in all my experiences. My current HP pavilion is 4 years old and humming right along nicely.

Also, just a cautionary word, be careful over-posting the same questions in boards. I noticed you posted several times the exact same question over on the Ubuntu Forums. Give people some time to check what you are asking. Over-posting usually turns people off :)
  • Thank you for the advice Kryptikos, i will have that in mind for next time. and thank you for the help.
  • No worries :) Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll do my best to help troubleshoot as you get rolling!

Cheers - Kryptikos

Categories

Upcoming Training