Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 4 - Errors trying to run minikube

egrueter
egrueter Posts: 2
edited October 2017 in LFS258 Class Forum

I have encountered an issue with Lab #4.

When attempting the “minikube start” command, the VM is not loading.   I have tried this with both the standard command as well as the “--vmdriver=none” option.   Any ideas?  See attachment for the error.   Please note, I am running CentOS7 on a VMware virtual machine via workstation.   I have VT-X/EPT enabled on both my PC and the VM.  I have VirtualBox installed with my CentOS VM.

See errors:

As a point of feedback, for a course that tailors itself to brand new users, it makes a lot of assumptions in the labs about setup.   I for one was lucky enough to have a Linux VM running Docker already, but had to find out how to download and install virtualBox.   There should be a pre-requisite lab for those of us that may need it! 

Comments

• sebgoa
    sebgoa Posts: 23
    edited September 2017

Hi, sorry for the trouble.

The assumption (probably not made clear enough), is that you are installing minikube on your local machine (desktop or latop). You should not install minikube within a VM as it will need nested virtualization to work.

Minikube runs a virtual machine that contains all of kubernetes. The easiest path is to install VirtualBox on your local machine , install the minikube client on your local machine and do `minikube start` locally. Do not try to do this within a VM, or it will be a VM within a VM.

Please let us know where you believe we need to make this information clearer,

thanks for your time and your feedabck,

• egrueter
    egrueter Posts: 2
    edited September 2017

So what I decided to do was to install Docker on my OS-X based laptop along with virtualbox.   This appears to work correctly through lab #4.

As I mentioned, I would advise considering a pre-req lab for anyone taking this course that goes through installing docker on their local machine, installing virtualbox, etc.  Also, the course says that a Linux box is required.   Why?   Docker is supported on OS-X and Windows as well.   So is virtual box.  I'd also make clear that doing this class inside a VM isn't supported.   

• sebgoa
    sebgoa Posts: 23
    edited September 2017

ok good point, thanks for the feedback

Categories

Upcoming Training