Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

OpenSuse

Scips99
Scips99 Posts: 2

My selected distro is OpenSuse.  The class does not spend a lot of time on zypper.  Instead it uses yum and apt-get.  Are there sections on zypper as well as other distro specifc issues that are relevent to Opensuse. Did I miss it?

Thanks 

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144
    edited July 2017

Hi,

Chapter 31 speaks the zypper basics. Do you miss anything specific about zypper on this section? 

Regards,

Luis.

• Scips99
    Scips99 Posts: 2
    edited July 2017

but isn't it marketed as an exam prep class?

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144
    edited July 2017

Hi,

Yes, it's a prep class. Is there specific topic about zypper that you are missing? I mean, from the admin point of view.

Thanks,

Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited July 2017

VIrtually everything in this class is either designed to work on either CentOS/RHEL or Ubuntu/Debian or SuSe/OpenSUSE, except for things which work only one family (which is why there are three chapters on yum/dnf, apt-get and zypper.  There are certain preliminary items which are discussed in LFS101x at edx.org (such as graphical interfaces) which as we say, should be studied either before or at the same time if you are missing things in your previous knowledge.  This class concentrates on command line, not graphical interface, at least partially because this is much more the same on different linux distributions than the graphical interfaces.  Many students have taken this course and then taken the LFCS on openSUSE and have felt it works just fine.  However, there are far more attendees using either ubuntu/debian or redhat/centos/fedora, and so I'm sure there is a place or two that is less well debugged or tested but we fix whatever is found to be suboptimal.  I hope this explanation helps.

Categories

Upcoming Training