Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

File system in linux/unix based distros

Options
VanBandana
VanBandana Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Getting Started with Linux

Hi everyone. I'll be honest. My knowledge of linux/unix is deficent in some aspects. I use antergos for 2 years now and some necessary info I have learned thru YT videos.  But not everything. Still I don't get it how file system works. I know that everything in os is listed like in tree and everything can be opened, coz it is basicly a file. Is there any wiki section, latest video or other info how file system structure works? Is it different for every distro?

I want to know, so I'll be abe to fully understand how linux/unix systems work

Comments

• mobile
    mobile Posts: 15
    Options

The LFS201 course has a few sections that pertain to filesystems. Specifically it covers the linux filesystem tree and layout, but it refers to the FHS https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf. Other details like formatting, partitioning, the use of modern vf, fs encryption, etc are all touched. While it's not close to being exhaustive, the information is manageable and I think it gives many readers an idea of easily available topics to pursue.

I'm in a similar boat- very fascinated how filesystems are structured and work. I haven't really exercised my interest yet so my advice may sound like a LFS201 sales pitch, and it in a way it is- because it's a good course, but really I mentioned it because "understanding filesystems" is a pretty broad aspiration that should be refined. Disk types, disk geomtry, virtual filesystems-- the list goes on and it's changed significantly over the years.

One suggestion I've read is to involve yourself in the development of a filesystem such as btrfs. I'm an advocate because while wiki's and articles are good information and seemingly important, dwelling on information from the past isn't always interesting and finding new (free) material on this topic I'm assuming can be difficult.

Categories

Upcoming Training