Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Best alternative to Windows 10

Options
devonroy
devonroy Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in New to Linux

Please can you advise me as to the best alternative to Windows 10, I am no computer expert, just require some thing that is simple and works without all the updates and other rubbish that I do not want on Win 10, plus it keeps locking up.

Basicinformation about my computer:

Windows edition

Windows 10 Home

© 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. System

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU © 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Computer name, domain and workgroup settings Computer name: DESKTOP-33QP40S Full computer name: DESKTOP-33QP40S Computer description: Workgroup: WORKGROUP Enter a short description...

Comments

• AzShuvo
    AzShuvo Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    Options

Windows 10 to Top 10 Linux Distro (Windows alternative)

1. Ubuntu (Youtube Video)

Obviously, Ubuntu was going to be at the top of the list. But why did I put it at the top of the list? First, look at the distro's history. Ubuntu has done more to put desktop Linux into the hands of the common man than any other distribution out there.

2. Linux Mint (Youtube Video)

If you're looking into a fixed released based on Ubuntu, but with a few tweaks under the hood...then Linux Mint might be a good match for you.

3. PCLinuxOS (Youtube Video)

– In addition to being a cousin to the once famed Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux distro, PCLinuxOSis without any question in my mind the ultimate KDE based rolling release distro for those who would normally prefer a fixed release

4. elementary OS (Youtube Video)

In the past, I've had folks who use OS X full time try elementary OS. Their impressions were usually about the same. For web browsing and document writing, they all felt very comfortable using elementary OS if OS X wasn't available

5. Puppy Linux (Youtube Video)

When it comes to turning ancient PCs into something usable again, there is nothing better than a fresh installation of Puppy Linux. I've personally had Puppy Linux running on a Pentium II before. On something with a bit more in terms of resources (for the browser), Puppy Linux is screaming fast. If you have a computer with 1 GB of RAM, you'll never look back.

5. Puppy Linux (Youtube Video)

When it comes to turning ancient PCs into something usable again, there is nothing better than a fresh installation of Puppy Linux. I've personally had Puppy Linux running on a Pentium II before. On something with a bit more in terms of resources (for the browser), Puppy Linux is screaming fast. If you have a computer with 1 GB of RAM, you'll never look back.

7. openSUSE (Youtube Video)

Seems like only yesterday openSUSE's predecessor, S.u.S.E Linux, was available as a boxed set at select computer stores. Not too many years after this, S.u.S.E Linux became SuSE, LLC and later, found themselves being acquired by Novell. A number of years later, Novell launched what became known as the openSUSE project.

8. Fedora (Youtube Video)

Fedora to is to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) what openSUSE is to SLED. Fedora comes in the following release types: workstation, server and cloud. For the sake of this article however, we'll be focused on Fedora workstation. Popular among those who work in Linux IT, Fedora workstation is said to be the distribution to become comfortable with if you plan on working within a Red Hat environme

9. Arch (Youtube Video)

It's been said that if you want to really learn how to use Linux, spend a weekend installing and configuring Arch. I completely agree with this sentiment. What really sets Arch apart from any other distros is that it forces you to think and pay attention.

10. Debian (Youtube Video)

If my default Ubuntu MATE distribution disappeared tomorrow, odds are I'd be running MATE on Debian testing. In my humble opinion, Debian is the single most important distribution responsible for getting newcomers to Linux. Some of the newbie friendly distros inspired by Debian include: Knoppix, Simply Mepis, Linspire, Xandros, Ubuntu, the list goes on and on.

Source :

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/best-linux-distro-linux-experts-rate-distros-1.html

http://www.greatfreelancer.com/top-10-linux-distro-2016-17/

Categories

Upcoming Training