Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

info about OS

Options
rumanfarrukh
rumanfarrukh Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in New to Linux

Dear Team : i am Ruman and want to install Linux but which OS will be suitable for my HP G72 120 SD laptop , why i want to download ? cause i want an OS which has no bugs and errors and keep me safe with various viruses, i use to watch movies and play games emailing social media and browsing , that's it kindly help me with this

SYSTEM SPECS,

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.37, 4/7/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

HDD 500 GB

Display : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430,Display Memory:1775 MB,Dedicated Memory:504MB,

Shared Memory: 1271 MB

I CAN GIVE YOU DXDIAG IF YOU WANT TO

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    All software can have bugs, errors and viruses, however Linux based system tend to have less bug and errors and little risk from viruses. One thing that you may have issues converting to is the fact that windows based software such as games and applications cannot be installed on non-Windows operating systems, in addition the blue-ray library is currently not complete to the point where it can play all disks.

This information is not meant to scare you, but to give you realistic expectations.

Your hardware is newer and fulfills the requirements of all x86/32-bit and x86_64/64-bit Linux based operating systems. For a beginner We generally recommend Ubuntu, Fedora or Zorin. As a gamer, Ubuntu may be the best option since they are trying hard to get commercial software available and valve is working on a steam game client for Ubuntu.
  • Thinking_Monkey
    Options
    Hi Moderator,

I know this is an older post but I wanted to mention a couple of things.

It's hard to explain to people that picking (and liking) a particular distro is akin to "Is Coke or Pepsi better?" Well, whichever one you like is better, but you have to taste them first.

I know there are (literally) thousands of distros you could have pointed the OP to but you have to use your own experience and try to guess what the person might like.

Lately, I've been what one guy on the forums referred to as a Distro Hopper. :)

I'm trying out Linux Mint 17.2, Debian 8.2.0, and openSUSE Leap 42.1.

I've been favoring Linux Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon desktop. It allows you to do about 99% of what the OP said he wanted to do. Since it's based on Ubuntu, the work they're doing to procure code to run more widely available commercial apps, non-free stuff is also available to Mint.

I think one of the main reasons it's so easy to adapt to Linux Mint is that with the Cinnamon desktop, a Windows user can migrate pretty painlessly.

Also, I noticed you didn't mention Wine to the OP and that may have led to a complete How-To on your part so I imagine that's why you purposely didn't mention it.

Anyway, not to barge in on your advice and I hope it doesn't seem that way. :)

Cheers and to all a good day!

• giddyroo
    Options

i am currently looking, wll trying to find  what is the type of linux i need to instal on system,from a direct d/load to instal and not a burn first. but i note there seems to be several forms of linuxand even on main site itcan be confusing for a person not of a higher skill in it than is expected..yet all i need know is, where can i find a standard d/load

• harve42
    harve42 Posts: 3
    edited November 2016
    Options

You realize linux is an operating same as windows is an operating system and that you can't install linux under windows like an application.

So, your basic options are:

install and run linux in virtual environment under windows

boot linux from cd/dvd/usb stick thus leaving windows in place and untouched

install and run linux from separate partition (dual boot) again leaving windows install untouched

blow windows away and install linux

All of them require d/ling and burning to cd/dvd/usb stick

harv

• harve42
    harve42 Posts: 3
    edited November 2016
    Options

oops meant to reply to post #4 not #3  and can't find way to change it so see above

• MichaelBereece
    MichaelBereece Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options

I currently dual boot Windows 10 (64 and 32 bit versions). I understand that I can install Linux on a separate partion but I am unsure as to how I get to it once it is installed. I currently have a window that allows me to select which version when I reboot. I would I do this with a linux partition? I am NOT planning to dump Windows 10 but I would like to learn Linux. If I can also get a recommendation as to which version to install, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks for you attention.

Categories

Upcoming Training