Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

looking for a direction to start in.

Options

I have never used Linux before and know little to nothing. my goal is to run a dual boot on my desktop(self built), and i have just bought a netbook(ASUS Eee 1005HA), and depending on how well i do with running linux on my desktop i like to have load it on my netbook. I know that is two totally different things of loading on a desktop and netbook. So i have been searching around this site, and it is a great how much information is on here, but it is a little too much for me right now. so I am asking for people to give me a general direction to start, because right now i do not even know where to start. I am aware this is probably some of the most open questioning ever, but bare with me. any helpful links and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thank You

Comments

• Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    Options
    On the desktop side I'd like to recommend Linux Mint. This distribution of Linux that is my personal favourite because everything works right out of the box and it's interface is really polished. Go and check it out at: http://linuxmint.com/

For the Eee PC I would myself love to try out Moblin. It's an entirely new experience for netbooks based on the Atom processor and the UI looks so cool and polished. It was initially started by Intel but is now governed by the Linux Foundation themselves. But the OS is not finished yet but I would highly recommend going to http://moblin.org/ to get your copy of it.

Edit: Oh and by the way. If you're Desktop has less than 1GB of RAM I would recommend trying Mandriva or some other distro. But it runs great on my 7year old computer with 1GB of RAM.
  • Keebs
    Keebs Posts: 2
    Options
    If it helps with any suggestions, here are some of the specs for my desktop.
    HDD: 1tb
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
    RAM:4gb
  • Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    Options
    Then go with Linux Mint on your desktop. Try it out and see what you think about it.

Categories

Upcoming Training