Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Installer refuses to identify windows 10 on ASUS laptop

Cloningcody
Cloningcody Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Installation

Trying to dual-boot Linux Mint 17.3 with Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop but the Linux installer does not acknowledge Windows even exists and won't identify my unallocated drive partition space as empty only as unknown.So I don't have the option to instal along Windows 10. Someone please help. I'm not program proficient.

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited August 2016

The partition scheme of most modern Windows machines has gotten more complex. The unknown could mean that space is not available because the number of primary or logical partitions have been used. Windows does not label the partitions human readable names. This new partition scheme of windows is enough to throw a Linux installer off. 

Linux mint use one out of many linux installers. Other installers might do a better job. If you want to stick with mint, you may have to delete a partition to make the unknown space available. It might be safer to install Mint on it own drive leaving the windows partitions intact. At least in a case of a system crash, you are able to recover.

I have a windows 10 64bit laptop and I am writing this post using Xubuntu 14.04 64bit installed on a thumb drive. This setup keeps my windows partitions intact and makes dual-booting much easier. Plus, my system performs much better because the system only has to read through one partition and there are no moving parts, performance inproves. 

Categories

Upcoming Training