Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Using Dvorak for typing and QWERTY for commands

To read the fully outfleshed blogpost fallow this link: http://linux.com/community/blogs/the-mixed-curse-of-using-dvorak-and-linux.html

What you end up reading if you fallow the link to my blog post is the question: Is there any way to make QWERTY the active layout when right Ctrl and other command-keys are pressed in Linux?

I use the Dvorak simplified keyboard layout on all my computers, but the applications I use are designed for QWERTY. So all commands such as Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are no longer onehandmoves you can do with your other hand on the mouse.

In Windows I use an tray application that a friend of mine has developed, basicly the development started because the bult in layout switcher in Windows is the most random piece of crap on this earth.

In GNOME there are support for altering keyboard layout when some keys are pressed and then change back. But not for the most used command key, right Ctrl.

So is there anyone out there who knows how to solve this little problem of mine?

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Have you considered programming a function key to do this? That should be simple enough I would think.
  • Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    Depends on what you mean by function key.
    Using the commandkeys themselves as trigger keys in the Gnome keyboard UI is pointless since that renders the keys themselves useless for actually doing commands other than changing the keyboard layout.
  • Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    Soo...
    Back on topic
    Is there anyone out here who knows how to do this? Or how it might be done.

Categories

Upcoming Training