Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Distro for CS Student who also is studying Linux

Hi All,

So I am looking at a linux distro that is useful for python and java programming (Good IDE support etc) but I can also learn from as on the back end I study Linux for sysadmin stuff.

I am a part time student and I am an IT Engineer so figuring things out is nothing difficult for me, I have also being using Linux for around 3 years on and off.

I have installed Arch Linux in my time with varying degrees of success but never moved onto anything like Gentoo and LFS due to not having that much time and I don't particually want to leave my laptop running a VM just for testing as I hear it can take a long time to build.

What suggestions would you have?

Thanks!

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Most if not all Linux distros support Python and Java languages. These languages are platform independent so any OS can be used for programming with these languages. Linux in-particular, highly values Python and Java since most of its applications are build using those languages. Debian-based Linux systems are one of those platforms extensively utilizing Python and Java.

You should be fine with archlinux, not only for programming purposes but also as a base for learning how Linux works. It was designed to show how Linux is built from the ground up. What you have will suffice.
  • Echtap
    Echtap Posts: 1

When I was studying at University we used Ubuntu. But we also had some god-awful text editors that wern't very good or user friendly. I think the IDE we used was Eclipse.

• They are teaching Ubuntu to some of the students but personally in the past I have found it to be rather buggy.

• saqman2060
    edited July 2016
    Nano is a very good text editor for beginners. It's like a word processor without the GUI. I still use it to this day. You can use any text editor of your choice provided Ubuntu supports it in its repository.

I have heard of eclipse but never used it. Have you tried gedit?
  • saqman2060
    edited July 2016
    The LTS versions are more stable. However, I have noticed on my systems that some services want things to be perfect. If not, it could a lot of noise. The recent versions of Ubuntu have been petty good.

Categories

Upcoming Training