Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Distro for CS Student who also is studying Linux

Options

Hi All,

So I am looking at a linux distro that is useful for python and java programming (Good IDE support etc) but I can also learn from as on the back end I study Linux for sysadmin stuff.

I am a part time student and I am an IT Engineer so figuring things out is nothing difficult for me, I have also being using Linux for around 3 years on and off.

I have installed Arch Linux in my time with varying degrees of success but never moved onto anything like Gentoo and LFS due to not having that much time and I don't particually want to leave my laptop running a VM just for testing as I hear it can take a long time to build.

What suggestions would you have?

Thanks!

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    Most if not all Linux distros support Python and Java languages. These languages are platform independent so any OS can be used for programming with these languages. Linux in-particular, highly values Python and Java since most of its applications are build using those languages. Debian-based Linux systems are one of those platforms extensively utilizing Python and Java.

You should be fine with archlinux, not only for programming purposes but also as a base for learning how Linux works. It was designed to show how Linux is built from the ground up. What you have will suffice.
  • Echtap
    Echtap Posts: 1
    Options

When I was studying at University we used Ubuntu. But we also had some god-awful text editors that wern't very good or user friendly. I think the IDE we used was Eclipse.

• Linux_Noob
    Options

They are teaching Ubuntu to some of the students but personally in the past I have found it to be rather buggy.

• saqman2060
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nano is a very good text editor for beginners. It's like a word processor without the GUI. I still use it to this day. You can use any text editor of your choice provided Ubuntu supports it in its repository.

I have heard of eclipse but never used it. Have you tried gedit?
  • saqman2060
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The LTS versions are more stable. However, I have noticed on my systems that some services want things to be perfect. If not, it could a lot of noise. The recent versions of Ubuntu have been petty good.

Categories

Upcoming Training