Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Switcing to Linux to defend myself from a rootkit installed within my hardrive

russo93
russo93 Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Getting Started with Linux

Hi Linux community! I have a windows 8.1 on a 2015 envy notebook....Specs are this

>Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40 GHz its a 64-bit OS with touch screen..

Nonetheless, this computer has been compromised by a third party rogue virus which im guessing is a rootkit. I have reformatted my hardrive back to factory settings twice. However this nasty virus is still lodged deep within my files. Which is understandable, I mean, I have a naga gaming mouse that has specific drivers set up to the accuracy of the mouse. And when I did a factory reset on my windows 8.1 laptop the mouse still works with the same speed and accuracy. So, windows factory reset isn't really that good. Regardless, I know I have this virus in my computer. I am getting established connections when I nestat in the cmd panel from the IP address of a public library here in LA, and other established connections that should not be here at all. To top it all off, I have seen this hacker log into my computer and use my mouse, opening files. This person has FULL access to my computer. Now, I would rather just switch to Linux if it will get rid of this retarded virus. Will this be the case if I do so? I am just assuming, because Linux is coded completely different than windows 8. Which, I'm assuming should be impossible for the virus to work because it would then be communicating with a completely different OS. Am I right???

Comments

• russo93
    russo93 Posts: 2
    Also I am a newbie with Linux, so if someone could direct me in the right path as to which drivers I need to install for my pc. Would be much appreciated!!
  • Hi

Yes, that will get rid of the virus. I recommend you switch to Linux Mint. Do some research on how to install it, and you'll be set. No more viruses. :D

• stiphani10
    stiphani10 Posts: 2
    edited May 2016

great article thank you :)

Categories

Upcoming Training