Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ch 25 - simple script to list all tunables

dbuday
dbuday Posts: 17

While listing tunable values of /proc/sys/vm, i came to idea to write a script to do it (feel free to use it any way you want it).

I also added some other locations of /proc/sys and some log files.

What could be also added?  All suggestions are welcome.

Script is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q10x5xn4kn9ccu3/listem?dl=1

(Another script, for Ubuntu, to make your terminal look the way you want it -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/578c9ozcarb0esk/ttyset?dl=1  - only for tty, not emulator

Enjoy.)

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2016

That's a collaborative spirit :)

Regards,

Luis.

• dbuday

Script is now bigger.

You can also see some information from /proc, make backup of all tunables, and also change them all from script.

I hope you will find it useful.

I'm still taking suggestions...

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    What is this function (tput bold) and (tput sgr0)? Could you give an explaination on what it is and what it can do?
  • dbuday

It's all in here:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x405.html

tput is not related to this course - i use it to highlight important things and make it clearer to user

• saqman2060
    Thank you :)
  • coop
    coop Posts: 915

Nice initiative!  A couple of comments

1) you probably need to make listem it a little more distribution aware, at least for the files on /var/log go

2) I got confused for a second because the terminal setting program doesn't work in a gnome-terminal, but it does work on a console

3) /var/log/dmesg never changes; it is the value of dmesg > /var/log/dmesg right after boot.  You can get a running look at the kernel message buffer by doing: dmesg -w

You could make the scripts more compact by using case .... esac instead of many repetitive ifs, but it would not chnage functioning.

• dbuday

Thanks a lot on your reply.

Yes i must run deeper into other distributions and notice differencies; i'm doing this as i learn, so i got a lot more to learn... Obviously.

( Right now i think how to implement apparmor and/or selinux properties change. ;; and - i've deleted Fedora and installed CentOs 6 as adviced by you )

I see also that  /var/log/lastlog returns some rubbish,  and /var/log/messages doesn't exist at all (Ubuntu 14.04) - so this part needs an update.

I also think i should use -f instead of -e option when checking for file existance, then i probably wouldn't get those (5 in total) access denied messages (or am i wrong?).

dmesg -w is returning invalid option error !!

I made a script for kernel removing, but it is croatian only, so i need to translate it first, if i want to include it.

As i learn i will surely add some more monitoring tools; at the end - script like that could really be of some help to administrators.

If not, it's still good practice though.

Have i missed some important tunables to show (or i'm done with that part)?

Thanks a lot for your interest and help.

• saqman2060

These "tput" commands could prove useful for several scripts that i've created for systems admin and diagnostics. They are not as in-depth as your's is but they are simple and easy to customize. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Categories

Upcoming Training