Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

windows is crap

My computer knowledge isnt very good, maybe 50% at the most. I like Linux. I have Zorin OS 9 desktop. Theres just alot of things iam lost on. For most part i can get around on Linux fine. I have Zorin 9 on my USB eventually i will get rid of windows 8.1

I have many very stupid questions. Iam very sorry for those questions.

How do i make my text larger? Its very small.

When i download a program, where do i find it? And how do i open it?

I downloaded ( advance tweaking tool, by Gnome ) i have no clue how to get it and open it.

Is there some help section for Linux, besides here to?

Thanks From Chuck

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    1) Please make the Title of you post describe your problem.
    2) One way of making the text bigger or smaller is to press Ctrl+ and Ctrl-
    3) To install a program the best way is to use a Package Manager http://zorinos.com/packagemanagersguide.html
    4) Zorin Forum >>> http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Yes as arochester said, make the title of your post relative to your issue. DO NOT make a tile in the form of bashing another operating system vendor.

What text are you referring to?
    1) text on a document or system text, GUI or shell?
    2) Generally when you download something, it gets stored in the Download folder. However, if you explicitly select a folder to save the download it, ubuntu will make that path the default dowload path. We recommend using your system"s package manager to install packages.

You can also find help here
    http://askubuntu.com/?_ga=1.176079210.978070761.1458005123
    http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
  • I am a recent convert to Linux from Windows in December 2015 and obviously I can tell you of my experience. Original I tried Zorin and it did not sit comfortable with me had all the bells and whistles but to many bells and whistles in the paid version. Then I tried Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit and found it to be the perfect OS for me and now have 17.3 64bit which is along term supported to 2019. My feeling any one converting from Microsoft Windows to Linux is to try several distro's and find the one which suits you. Don't forget that Linux is not Windows so there is a learning curve and I found Mint suits me but it will not suit every one, so try several popular distro's before settling on one. If you are concerned about Command Line with Linux Mint that is there if you can use it but it is not necessary for the beginner with Mint and at the moment I have not had not needed the command line, but have a very good book on how to use it which I am in the process of reading. The things I like about Linux apart from the fact that it is free and all the add on software is free but please do make a donation to whichever distro you chose as your financial contribution will enable that the distro will continue and be made better.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    bootneck02 wrote:
    I am a recent convert to Linux from Windows in December 2015 and obviously I can tell you of my experience. Original I tried Zorin and it did not sit comfortable with me had all the bells and whistles but to many bells and whistles in the paid version. Then I tried Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit and found it to be the perfect OS for me and now have 17.3 64bit which is along term supported to 2019. My feeling any one converting from Microsoft Windows to Linux is to try several distro's and find the one which suits you. Don't forget that Linux is not Windows so there is a learning curve and I found Mint suits me but it will not suit every one, so try several popular distro's before settling on one. If you are concerned about Command Line with Linux Mint that is there if you can use it but it is not necessary for the beginner with Mint and at the moment I have not had not needed the command line, but have a very good book on how to use it which I am in the process of reading. The things I like about Linux apart from the fact that it is free and all the add on software is free but please do make a donation to whichever distro you chose as your financial contribution will enable that the distro will continue and be made better.

Thanks for the reminder. It is noble and helpful to donate what you can to the developers of the Linux distro you are using. These developers are taking time out of their day to create a system that will keep us productive. Nobody likes to work for nothing. Plus, you might be able to demand certain features if you are giving something for it. Linux and open source computing is build on collaboration. Their are multiple forms of it. Give or do what you can to add value. Thank you bootneck02 :-)

Categories

Upcoming Training