Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New to Linux and Having Trouble Getting Started

Options
Jrichichi
Jrichichi Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Getting Started with Linux

I have recently decided to move to Linux and have no experience whatsoever with the software. I have downloaded Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and am having an issue when I go to restart after the installation. Once I restart the machine asks me to remove the disc i used to load mint with and the machine restarts, but doesn't boot/ load. it just sits there black screen cursor blinking at the top left. So i have tried reinstalling three time with the disc and get the same result. Also, once I have completed the install and not yet restarted. If I open Firefox to look through forums, like i am for this post, if i take the disc out of the drive and attempt to go to another web page Firefox crashes and says it must reload. Only when the installation disc is in the drive can i operate the system with no issues.

I also encountered a scenario where the computer was stuck on a black screen with the Linux Mint logo in the center and a lock icon with a text box. I assumed this was because i had setup a passkey when installing, but when i attempt to input my passkey/ password nothing appears in the box.

Any thoughts???

Comments

• saqman2060
    Options
    Jrichichi wrote:
    I have recently decided to move to Linux and have no experience whatsoever with the software. I have downloaded Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and am having an issue when I go to restart after the installation. Once I restart the machine asks me to remove the disc i used to load mint with and the machine restarts, but doesn't boot/ load. it just sits there black screen cursor blinking at the top left. So i have tried reinstalling three time with the disc and get the same result. Also, once I have completed the install and not yet restarted. If I open Firefox to look through forums, like i am for this post, if i take the disc out of the drive and attempt to go to another web page Firefox crashes and says it must reload. Only when the installation disc is in the drive can i operate the system with no issues.

I also encountered a scenario where the computer was stuck on a black screen with the Linux Mint logo in the center and a lock icon with a text box. I assumed this was because i had setup a passkey when installing, but when i attempt to input my passkey/ password nothing appears in the box.

Any thoughts???

Ok, lets just make sure the image burned on the disk is not corrupted. Can to find another machine and try the installation there? In the computer with the black screen and a blinking cursor, press
    ctrl+alt+fs

This should bring you to a text console. If you are able to get there, there is a problem with the Xserver. If not, then something went wrong with the installation.Try this out then get back to us.

Categories

Upcoming Training