Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Cht 16.5 logical vol creation size

in the example it doesn't state how large partitions sdb1 and sdc1 are but I can't image a partition size of 16m. But the example only used 16m of partition sdb1. If the partition is greater than 16m how would you extend the group latter to use more/all of the partition.

Comments

• NYCJacob wrote:
    If the partition is greater than 16m how would you extend the group latter to use more/all of the partition.

I am not sure I understand that last sentence. Could you give a little more details? A partition can be any size the system will support. I have create partitions smaller than that on Ubuntu systems. Such a size is not uncommon. If you plan to use a partition for storage then yeah, way too small.

It really depends on the filesystem. They support different sizes large and small.
  • thanks for the replies. First of all I am referring to this example
    sudo vgcreate -s 16M vg /dev/sdb1

now from the man page -s sets the physical extent size on physical volumes of this volume group. It does not set the log vol size except, I think, the extent size puts limits on when the size can be. vgcreate is creating the group and then the logical vol size is created with lvcreate. When I first read -6 16M and the next line using vgextend I mistakenly assumed there was a size parameter.
  • Hi,

That's correct, '-s' indicates the physical extent size, and not the volume size.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training