Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

19.12: getsebool and setsebool: INFO box truncates text

Section 19.12, "getsebool and setsetbool", has an INFO box titled "Examples of Changing Boolean Status using setsebool".

The text in this INFO box is longer than the window. There is no vertical scrollbar, and I don't appear to be able to copy selected text from the window (I can select it, but nothing I do puts that text into the clipboard), so I just can't read the text past a certain point. The text is truncated just below the second "getsebool" line in the second example. It's showing the first 2-3 pixels of the output from that line, but I can't read the line of text. It's possible that's the last line of text, but I have no way of knowing.

Comments

• That seems to happen fairly often as I've been going through the course. I'm usually able to copy and paste the text (after enabling right-click) and read the entire text including the obscured text. I like to copy/paste the text into a TTS site to read the text as I read along. I find this helps me absorb the info. But, yeah, the text is obscured on a number of pages in the training.
  • Hi,

Can you provide a screenshot with the error, please? You may upload it to a service like http://imagebin.ca/ .

Thanks,
    Luis.
  • Hi,

I tried it using firefox and chrome and it showed the whole window:

An example of persistent change using setsebool -P:

$ getsebool ssh_chroot_rw_homedirs
    ssh_chroot_rw_homedirs --> off

$ sudo setsebool -P ssh_chroot_rw_homedirs on
    ssh_chroot_rw_homedirs --> on

$ sudo reboot

ssh_chroot_rw_homedirs --> on

What browser are you trying with?

Regards,
    Luis.
  • dkarr
    dkarr Posts: 40
    Firefox ESR 38.5.0.
  • dkarr wrote:
    Firefox ESR 38.5.0.

Though I am not taking the exam at the moment, why not use a different browser like chrome, chromium, or opera? It seems you are having issues with Firefox ESR 38.5.0.
  • rchenzheng
    rchenzheng Posts: 36
    edited January 2016
    IT also happens on chrome FYI.

Not for this chapter but for others

like: 11.2, 12.11, 21.2, among others.

47.0.2526.111 m

• dkarr
    I also saw it happen with Chrome. However, I also noticed the following scenario:

I was on section 37.8a, which has an INFO box button, but even the text right above the INFO box button was truncated (I believe it was showing just the first two pixels of the last line of text). The content in the INFO box was also truncated.

I then dismissed the INFO box, and I tried dragging the main browser window. This wasn't a "logical" thing to do, as the course window (inside the browser window) is much smaller than the browser window. However, the instant I started the drag, the course window redrew itself, which was now showing the last line of text above the INFO button. I then clicked the INFO button, and it also was not truncated.
  • dkarr
    And I verified that the "drag" fix deals with the INFO box display problem in section 19.12. It occurs to me that the browser window appears to be sized by the size of the "course window", but the INFO box needs to be longer than that window. If I first enlarge the browser window a bit, it is now large enough to contain the longer INFO window.
  • coop
    coop Posts: 915
    As in understand it, some fraction of these cut off pop up boxes are due to a bug in the platform (pop ups being displayed in mobile phone format unintentionally) which has patched and fixed. I'm not sure when the newly formatted versions will be deployed if they have not been so already.
  • Hi,

I think you may try with an updated version; I tried with update 43.04, but the latest one is 44.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training