Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

gpk-update-icon

Dear all,

I have installed OEL Oracle Linux 6.4 on my server , when I type " Top " command to see the CPU utilization , the output shows a root user executed "gpk-update-icon" which consume upto 98% , So needs your feedback with solution.

If I kill this process it will effect ??

Regards

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    the gtk-update-icon cache process is generally run at boot time to update the internal index of gtk based icons. It should stop or throttle after a while, if it does not then killing it will only stop the indexing. Could it be possible that manual directory modifications such as directory links have caused it to get caught in a directory loop?
  • mody82
    mody82 Posts: 2
    Dear Mfillpot

gpk-update-icon ( gpk not gtk ) it consume more cpu , what shall I do ?
    need your suggestion, urgently

Regards
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. The app is for the Gnome Package kit, many people have reported that they fixed it by removing gnome and using another window manager, and other have said that you can go to System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions and Untick "PackageKit Update Applet" to stop the applet.
  • i have the smae problem , if you sole the problem plz post the solution to me

1421698697.jpg
  • linuxmen
    linuxmen Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Try changing other X managers . change to GNOME or KDE or gnome lite. or do the following

System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions

Untick "PackageKit Update Applet"

Or simple use the init 3 instead of init 5 in your inittab

1446625920.jpg

• gpk-update-icon ( gpk not gtk ) it consume more cpu , what shall I do ?
    need your suggestion, urgently
    lg2011_badge.png

• look at this picture

1443334072.jpg

Categories

Upcoming Training