Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New to Linux and Installing Ubuntu.

Options
Rocker98585
Rocker98585 Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Installation

Hey, I'm new to Linux. I have decided to install Ubuntu 14.10 recently, but right now I'm using it from a Live USB. It works fast! :) I'm on a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 with an Intel Core i3, and heck, I've noticed Linux is SOOOO much faster than that lousy Windows 8.1. I don't even have that much programs installed on Windows! :(

To get to the point of this, I might install Ubuntu. But if I love it enough after using it for a few weeks, I will to completely throw Windows off my HDD, and combine its partition back into Ubuntu's. I want to keep the Recovery Partition so I can install Windows back whenever I want it.

I hope that isn't confusing for you Linux and hard drive experts. I just don't want to screw up anything. I spent a lot of money on my laptop! I haven't even had for a year.

Comments

• robdogj
    robdogj Posts: 4
    Options
    I would advise you to make a windows partition & another partion for Ubuntu, so you can have dual boot capabilities. That way you can still have your windows just in case.
  • Falcao
    Falcao Posts: 4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi Rocker98585,

Well, I am not sure if is your case, many brands allow you to, easelly , create recovery discs / pendrives. In my case that was I've done.

Linux is really not so hunger of HD space, relatively small partitions would do for system. In my case, I've left 42 GB for system, and so far, with many packages installed, 32 GB are still free for use. All the rest is left for my Home partition (Where personal data is stored in linux). I've reduced windows partition to minimum size and installed linux in dual boot attitude, but, honestly, never needed windows anymore.

If you accept suggestions, I would recommend to install Linux in three partitions: one for system "/", one swap (twice as big than your system RAM), and a larger as possible "/HOME" partition, so your data would be kept in a separate partition which eventually will bring benefits in terms of system maintenance and is totally transparent from users point of view.

I suggest also to install 64 bits version rather than 32bits due to java issues. Another must give it a try distro for linux newcomers is, Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Edition.

Have fun!
  • Falcao
    Falcao Posts: 4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi again,

another solution would be use any clone software to clone your hard disk and store it in a external media. I may try Hiren's boot CD (very ease) or Clonezilla to do so.

Hiren's have many different softwares, among them there are clone softwares too, clonezilla is a clone software itself.

http://clonezilla.org/

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable

;D

Categories

Upcoming Training