Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Done with Microsoft

:unsure:

Im a newbie w/ Linux, I have Yellow Dog on my PS3 and Love it more then the XMB by Sony. I want to convert ALL my home PCs to one version of linux or another, but I need to know where to start. I need lots of help with gettign started.

First off, how do i pick a Linux that is right for me??

Im a tattoo Artist so i would need something that would be good for image editing. Also i need a media player, music and art are my life.

Can someone help me???

Thank You

Rob Smith

River of Blood Tattoos

MCL

Comments

• Dic_Faygo
    Dic_Faygo Posts: 7
    OH and is there anyway to turn a Rogers Samsung Jack from windows mobile to Linux??? that would be too cool!!!!!
  • I tried out an Ubuntu distribution on live cd as my first Linux distro. Then I tried Debian, and now I'm using Linux Mint 7 - which I love so far.

Installing is easy. The only issues I had were with my wireless internet, but that was nothing that some reading and experimenting couldn't fix.

I guess my advice based on personal experience is that everyone likes a given Linux distro for their own personal reasons. You kind of have to try them out and see what you like. All this stuff is customizable anyway. Start by running it on a LiveCD....then maybe dual booting before wiping out your Windows OS.
  • Set_Killer
    Set_Killer Posts: 31
    Dont install same distro on all your pcs. on one you can install ubuntu, on other mandriva, on other opensuse - until you find your best distro. Here you will find wich distro is hot. Sabayon looks fancy.

For music you can use Audacious, Totem, XMMS2

For movies you can use gnome-mplayer (kmplayer) {mplayer}, Xine, VLC.

For drawing the best programs are Gimp, Incscape. And also Photoshop works in Wine, think so.
  • Dic_Faygo
    thanks everyone for the info, ive heard about Linux Fedora when i was working with my PS3 and now i run the Live DVD on my PC and my mouse doesnt work ... does anyone know what could be up with that??
  • emk
    emk Posts: 2
    Install one of either Fedora 11, Ubuntu 9.04 or LinuxMint 7 on your most powerful (storage/memory/processor) computer. THen install VirtualBox-ose (google it) on that computer. After you have VB going, download install and/or LiveCD editions of as many distributions as you want. Install these distro's in VB and test them out.

This method is less involved and difficult than trying out different LiveCDs everyday. It has the advantage that you can directly compare different distros as you run them side by side on in VB. At them same time you are gaining experience running your main distro.

As a long time Linux user (Ubuntu) I'm using this method to help me switch from Gnome to Enlightenment DR17 (e17). I'm staying on Ubuntu 9.04 for the time being so I'm running e17 on it in VB. This means that I don't disrupt my daily computer use wile learning and configuring e17 to my satisfaction.

hope this helps.

emk

P.S Head over to distrowatch.com to find distros. There is a hierachy and a sequence to adopting distros. I would only start a newbie with, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, PCLinuxOS, MEPIS or Mandriva. The rest you graduate to.
  • emk
    emk Posts: 2
    Since you're on LiveCD, I'd say just try unplug and plugging in your mouse again to see if its recognized, once the Fedora is fully up and running. Might work if you have a USB mouse. Also try out a different LiveCD, eg Ubuntu, see if it works.

emk
  • jramirez
    jramirez Posts: 2
    I found one of the best distros when it comes to artsy stuff is ubuntu studio it comes with enough software to make you happy i think.

the only problem I found is that it doesnt come with a network manager by default or at least i couldnt find it, but this is easily solved by installing wicd hope this helps.
  • Dic_Faygo
    Okay ive got my Fedora 8 i686 for my quad core and once it boots none of my USB ports work, they dont even light up my mouse. Ive also tried an Ubuntu 8.10 and it doesnt boot up. Im downloading and trying another one. but until then i need help with fedora
  • Set_Killer
    Go in the BIOS and look for USB keyboard/storage/mouse. They must be enabled. also look for usb 2.0 and individual ports.

if you think that the problem is from linux (hal) then you should find PS2 keyboard from friend (or old PC if you have) and try to download another linux.
  • Dic_Faygo
    Okay so i've tried Fedora 8 and 11 on two differnt PCs and ive also tried Ubuntu 8 and 9.04 on both the same PCs and they both have the USB issue, I have a PS2 Keyboard hooked up to one pc and it worked.
    Now for the bios thing, is there a biios or manual setup for the Linux live CDs? or does it boot default info, and for Ubuntu 9.04 on my Quad Core, it hits Starting Bluetooth and then stops ffrom there, i let it go for over a half hour and nothing loaded, how can i get around that?
  • Set_Killer
    you can go into BIOS when you just turn your pc ON and then press Del or F1 (or F12) (it depends on your motherboard manufacture) a few times. Then look for Legacy Keyboard (storage) support. It should be enabled. (if you still cant get into BIOS - google it). be carefull with the setting you are changing!

Also you can try to run your linux with PS2 and USB keyboards connected in. then in the terminal as root (or sudo'ed) write
    lsusb

There you have to see your keyboard. otherways its hardware problem maybe...
    (i think it would not be a problem if 2 keyboards are running).
  • Dic_Faygo
    Ive got a PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard now, but I cant activate my wireless DLink network card. everything i select to activate the devices it just says failed. I have wifi in the room as my ipod and ps3 connect there.
  • Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    Try do some googling around the net for your specific card.
  • Okay so I hvae Ubuntu 9.1 on one PC, and none of my USB seem to be working. If i select the USB Disk Creator thing it shows the USB SD Reader, but i cant find it anywhere else.
  • good post it help me alot thank you all
    1421699076.jpg

Categories

Upcoming Training