Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Cant finish installation.

Itorlao
Itorlao Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Getting Started with Linux

Hey, i have a problem when i am trying to install lionux on my pc. I have sucessfully executed the setup so that the installation begins and finishes. But when i open it the first time i get two error messages. I am running the system with norwegian as the main language so can only try to translate it.

WHat happends when i open linux is that there is a box on the screen saying its installing. I get one error message that in english would mean something like this..."Could not create partition on chosen harddisk" "porbable reason is that there is already to many primar partions present".

This is not the main problem because i can close it and proceed. Now the main problem ocours, there is a new message saying that "no filesystem is specified on root" "Correct from partition menu"

This box comes back up again and again when i close it, its obvious i cannot proceed.

I am currently only using the demomode. The version i am running is Ubuntu.

I have also tried to use the bios to specify ntfs file system but i cant find any option for that in the bios.

Comments

• Are you using an installation script? This is possible, but I have never executed this type of installation.

" I get one error message that in english would mean something like this..."Could not create partition on chosen harddisk" "porbable reason is that there is already to many primar partions present"

This would mean, you have exceeded the number of primary partitions on your hard drive. You need to choose one of those partitions for the installation. Simply closing the box and proceeding will not fix the problem.

Without a primary partition, no root filesystem can be created either. You have to go back to "setup partitions" to fix this problem.
  • You can have at most 4 primary partitions. Assumed you want a logical one then its 3 and one extended partition. This rule applies generally to BIOS-Partition tables not to GPT.

Probably the installer does something like piping to /dev/null
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    We also need to know if you are just trying to run it from a live medium or install to the hard drive. What Linux distro version are you using? What medium are you using for oversleeping USB, CD, DVD or network installation?

Categories

Upcoming Training