Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

[Lubuntu] Monting automatically an network shared folder with fstab

Hi

I have a computer on my network that has Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit with many accounts and a NAS that shares, via Login, its folders with the Samba protocol.

I wish that a network shared folder was mounted automatically when the computer is started so that all users could access it, without Login, in reading, writing and running.

So, what was the proper procedure to do this by configuring appropriately also the file /etc/fstab?

Thanks

Bye

Comments

• Is there an smb.conf file on the NAS server? Are the shares created using that file?

I am guessing your NAS is using some variant of Linux as the OS.

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It sounds like the windows clent computer do not have the shares mapped as persistant. When mapping the external shares be sure to use the options to map persistance and use other credentials, when those are used windows will store the credentials for the users and auto-map the shares.
  • That is very interesting mfillpot. He did not indicate that he wanted the shared folder mounted on a windows client or that he was using a windows server.

"I have a computer on my network that has Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit with many accounts and a NAS that shares, via Login, its folders with the Samba protocol."

When I read this sentence, it sounded like he had a lubuntu desktop with multiple user accounts on it.

He is also using a NAS that hosts shares using the samba protocol. He did not indicated that the NAS was linux or windows based. I don't hear many windows administrators setting up Samba on a Windows server. I could be wrong.

"I wish that a network shared folder was mounted automatically when the computer is started so that all users could access it, without Login, in reading, writing and running."

This sound like he wants a network shared folder mounted automatically when his Lubuntu system boots. All the user has to do is open it without the need for a password.

I was setting up a Samba share on a LinuxMint 17 system and accessed the share from another LinuxMint 17 system. I was able to access it manually and mount it(not automatic mounting) with the public access option set.

You mentioned mapped as persistent. Is this an option available within Samba's configuration file?
  • balubeto
    balubeto Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    I inserted, in the sambashare group, the accounts that will use the network directory.
    Then, I added, in the /etc/fstab, this line:
    //<Server_name>/<Share_directory> /media/<Point_mount> cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,gid=118,forcegid,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Later, I put the force group = sambashare directive in /etc/samba/smb.conf and I restarted the system.

Now, if I write:
    xxxxxxx@Pluto:~$ sudo mount -a

I get:
    mount error: could not resolve address for <Server_name>: Unknown error

Instead, if I access directly to this resource by PCManFM, I get this error:
    mount: only root can mount //<Server_name>/<Share_directory> on /media/<Point_mount>

This network resource can I use it normally if I access it via the menu Go ---> Network of PCManFM.

How come?

Thanks

Bye
  • I was looking for documentation that explained the process of permanently mounting a shared folder from a samba server on a ubuntu desktop client. This documentation was found on help.ubuntu.com. It has a section that talks about modifying the /etc/nsswitch.conf if there are errors during the mount.

Mounting a windows share permanently

Hope this helps.
  • I noticed that if in /etc/fstab I substitute the name of the server with its IP address, I can fully access to this network resource. How come? How should I do to make sure that DNS service is working correctly also during the startup of Linux?

Thanks

Bye
  • Were you able to solve your issue?

Categories

Upcoming Training