Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

[SOLVED] Mouse problems

osh
osh Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in I/O Devices

Greetings,

I have tried on Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Everything seems to be working ok apart from my mouse. The issue is that it seems to work only inside the current/last opened window and even then not everything works. (ie. can't maximise/close window; outside of the current window mouse doesn't seem to register any clicks/right clicks at all).

Keyboard seems to function properly. I read around that this may be related to running 2 mice etc, but I have only one.

I use my PC (no touch-pad) with R.A.T. 7 Contagion gaming mouse (USB). The only thing that comes to my mind, what could possibly be at fault, is the keyboard I'm using is part of a set keyboard + mouse. I think it's called Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 2000 (on the keyboard itself it says Wireless Keyboard 2000. I don't use the mouse that came with it. I didn't have any problems in Windows.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

osh.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Other users of the RAT mice have experienced similar issues because the mouse has additional buttons and options that deviate from the standard devices. I found a thread at ask.ubuntu.com in which a RAT5 user was able to resolve their issue by modifying the mouse configuration file with the same solution that is used for the RAT7 mice. I recommend reading that post and trying the same.
  • I just looked up the R.A.T 7 Contagion gaming mouse and it is something I have to get my hands on. The site I was on, did not mention that is was compatible with Linux yet it did mention that it had programmable buttons. I don't know what it meant by programmable, but after reading the link mfillpot submitted, the button layouts were changed in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This could be a definition of programmable buttons.
  • osh
    So funny... Here I am in the middle of repling and saying that thanks to mfillpot for looking this up for me and using the simple method - creating the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the following:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Mouse Remap"
            MatchProduct "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Contagion"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10 11 12 0 0 0"
    EndSection

I thought it has been fixed, but it seems it hasn't. Everything was perfect until this point. Not 100% sure, but it seems I must have pressed one of those "extra" buttons. Will try to reconfigure it to specificaly R.A.T.7 Contagion.

Now it'll be more difficult to see whether it's fixed or not, cause it's working at the beginning, but then it stops, so I might think I did it, while I actually did not.
    Will just click all the buttons and check responsiveness.

Regards,
    osh.
  • osh
    No wonder it didn't work - it's a config for a different mouse... Sorry or being such a nub... Here's the solution (clicked all the buttons numerous times in different order and it seems the fix is permanent):
    File /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Contagion"
        MatchProduct "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Contagion"
        MatchIsPointer "true"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "Buttons" "17"
        Option "AutoReleaseButtons" "13 14 15"
        Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 0 0 8 9 7 6 12 0 0 0 16 17"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

PS I read that instead of creating file /etc/X11/xorg.conf it might be better to create a file named FILE_NUMBER-rat-mouse.conf (ie 10-rat.conf) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder (create it if it doesn't exist: sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/).
  • That is great that you were able to resolve your mouse problem.

Categories

Upcoming Training