Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Server Administration

NDZ
NDZ Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Getting Started with Linux

Hello,

My name is Nedzhip, I'm 34 yrs old and is working as a Windows Server Administrator since 12 years.

The problem is the company I'm working for http://aaspot.net decided to move to LINUX. They just started to translate current site from asp to php and mssql to mysql, the move will be 3 months later, this means if I don't learn Linux Server Administration within 3 months I will lose my job :(

I just installed an CentOS to a virtual machine and started to training on it.

Not so long after I just learned the basic commands and managed to install and configure the required servers. There is no problem till there.

The problem is the security part I have no clue what are the security vulnerabilities in Linux, how is the update system working, what's the most vulnerable and exploited things and so on.

Do I have to install antivirus, and if there are any companies offering good antivirus for the Linux system.

Overall I know nothing about the security part.

What I'm asking for is a book or any other source for Linux Server administration especially for security part, since I'm finding my way with tutorials etc. about the other things.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my bad English!

Comments

• The big security vulnerabilities in a Linux system is to operate your system using the root account. Never do this. Other security issues are mostly relates to networking services, for instance remoting to a server. Encrypt everything.

If you want to learn Linux security, using a penetration testing system like www.kali.org

Learn how your system can be compromised remotely.

You need antivirus for Linux. At least, not at the moment.
  • I can help you by providing good sources for information that helps you learn how to secure and hack a linux system. Let me know what you want to learn and I will direct you to the right place.
  • Linux doesn't require antivirus software because the operating system is designed with a higher level of security compared to other operating systems like Windows. However, Linux can still be vulnerable to virus and malware attacks.

Although rare, viruses and malware for Linux do exist. The main reason why they are rare is because Linux has a better security architecture, including strict access controls and isolated file structures.

If you use Linux as a server or your computer is connected to the internet, it is still recommended to install antivirus software as a preventive measure. Some antivirus software available for Linux include ClamAV, Bitdefender, Avast, and Sophos.

Categories

Upcoming Training