Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I've decided to switch to Linux!! Which distribution should i choose?

So I'll start with saying that my laptop is a Macbook Pro 5, 1 (late 2008) and I really want to switch over to Linux. I've been toying with this plan for a few months off and on, but until recently didn't get very far, but in the last week or so, I came back to the idea again, and really started working at it. I finally figured out how to convert the .iso file, and burn it to USB, and so i have been trying to get Ubuntu working ever since. I did get it installed, but it would only boot in recovery mode, and then there was no launcher or menu bar, oh yeah and the wifi didn't work and the video card was an issue as well... I've spent most of my time the last day or two trying to work out those kinks, with not much progress. although i have learned at least a limited knowledge of using the command line! anyways, so I re-wiped my drive, and partitioned it with a small OS X yosemite drive, which i was told was good to keep, for hardware updates.

So anyways, my question; what distribution would you guys and gals suggest for me, to be as pain-free as possible to install/boot and if you had any other suggestions on the matter of things i should/need to know as a new Linux user.

thanks in advance everyone,

Trav

Comments

• Most of us have problem when switching to Linux and the most confusing is to select which distribution to choose as a newbie. Well choosing distribution depends on the work you want to do. Every distribution is designed to perform all the tasks that you need to do but specifically all the distributions have some purposes.

But as a newbie You will have problem finding which system will fit into your needs. So I'll suggest you to choose Linux Mint. Linux Mint is very good distribution to start. I did the same when switched to Linux and most of us do, I guess. And yeh! It's like Windows xp.

To learn quickly, I suggest you to read Howto blogs, applications reviews updates and news for Linux. Start from here www.LinuxAndUbuntu.com www.OnlineUbuntu.in
  • MohdSohail wrote:
    Most of us have problem when switching to Linux and the most confusing is to select which distribution to choose as a newbie. Well choosing distribution depends on the work you want to do. Every distribution is designed to perform all the tasks that you need to do but specifically all the distributions have some purposes.

But as a newbie You will have problem finding which system will fit into your needs. So I'll suggest you to choose Linux Mint. Linux Mint is very good distribution to start. I did the same when switched to Linux and most of us do, I guess. And yeh! It's like Windows xp.

To learn quickly, I suggest you to read Howto blogs, applications reviews updates and news for Linux. Start from here www.LinuxAndUbuntu.com www.OnlineUbuntu.in

Good response.

Pick a linux system that is easy for you to learn and does the things that you want it to do.

I like Debian and Mint.
  • Limdi
    Limdi Posts: 4
    Debian: Very very stable, software takes time till it gets updates, debian-testing is somewhat fast enough for me and does not break often.

Ubuntu, Mint: Newer software faster? Beware of the universe.

Arch, CentOS, Fedora: Rolling releases -> new versions of apps as fast as possible, but: one or another app can crash after some update.

Usb problem: Just flush the .iso on the usb, no need to change anything at the .iso if u do not want to customize the iso for some higher holy purpose.

Drivers: well, linux plays kind of nice with a lot of stuff. Graphics driver will u need to investigate on your own most likely, wether there is a package in some non-free repo or search the vendor site for drivers or u can use the default -mesa-drivers, which lack a little speed sometimes, depends on wether u want to do only office, or some fps with good graphics.

Categories

Upcoming Training