Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Curious chromebook user

I've seen a few videos floating around on the subject of installing Linux on a chromebook. I have never ever used Linux a day in my life, unless you count ChromeOS and Android.

I have an Acer C720 (ideally what I see most people putting linux on), but its the 2GB RAM variant.

I left Windows for the same reasons many others do:

-constant housekeeping

-drivers disappearing after updates

-antivirus stress

-long boot times

-lag

ChromeOS pretty much made up for the things I hated about windows

-no driver issues

-instant bootup

-no virus worries

-great performance (despite 2GB of RAM >.>)

As happy as I am, I've been frequently hitting brick walls because of unsupported plugins like Java, and my selection of games is a bit on the thin side, where the only MMORPG's I can find are the browser based ones that play themselves.

What's my point? I'm really just trying to see if I'm better off switching to Linux or leaving ChromeOS alone. I appreciate the zero-maintenance aspect of Chrome but there is room for improvement. Is it worth it to switch?

On top of that, since I'm brand new to the world of Linux, I'm not too familiar with all the flavors of Linux flying around. I see people switching from Ubuntu to Mint and vice versa for one reason or another (but don't really understand whats going on, something about this "unity" thing).

Bottom line is I'm one of those snobby hipster consumers that likes things to work in its simplest form. My ideal scenario is:

-decent looking UI

-good performance thats optimized to use as little memory as possible

-fast bootup

-low to no maintenance

-ability to still run chrome and all chrome-based apps

-ability to install plugins to run other browser games

-trackpad (if at all possible, I'm constantly hearing they stop working after the switch)

-no viruses or malware

-a decent selections of MMORPG's + shooters

-ability to use programs that root android phones would be nice, but isn't a must

That's really about all I can think of. Is there a version of Linux that would cover all those bases? Is it worth the switch or should I just stick to what I have? Thank you for tolerating by noobish giant wall of text and any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    One can't really install a full Linux distribution in place of Chrome OS. The ChromeOS firmware (BIOS) restricts the user to using the Linux kernel that is part of Chrome OS.

It is possible to run some Linux distros on top of Chrome OS. Ubuntu, for example, can be run in a chroot environment using something called Crouton. You can read about it at this link:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-linux-chromebook/

If it was me, I would use a Chromebook with the ChromeOS it came with. Everyday Google announces more features and apps that can be used with ChromeOS, so, have a good look at the app store and see if it suits your needs.
  • You can do what are doing now notifying the forum moderators of any spam posts that you see. Goingeasy, myself and mfillpot are some if the moderators that handle spam.

You can also contact the Linux.com webteam.

https://www.linux.com/contact

Thanks for keeping an eye out for spam posts.
  • i have aquestion plz
    can i use ubuntu in toshipa chromebook 2
    1422551081.jpg

Categories

Upcoming Training