Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

French beginner, old pc and wifi

Hello !! help

I have a sony vaio pcg807k, 40 go, 256 ram and Pentium III 650 mhz.

I had a xubuntu 9.10 very old...and impossible to have internet...

I tryed to install bodhy, slitaz etc but each time there is a problem I didn't understand..

I try on forum in france to have information for a real real beginner and I don't find something easy and "stable".

Which distro light ? Slitaz bodhi, puppy ????

Who recognize easily usb for wifi ( no ethernet) on this computer and IDE hard disk

Bodhi seems to not recognize ide hard disk...

Elive ...I don't know

Slitaz ? why not

I put my pc to professionnal but it's very hard for us to make this computer run with wifi or / and recognize hard disk

Help please !!!

Big thanks by advance !!!

Nicolas

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    edited September 2014
    If there is a problem you don't understand you need to tell us exactly what happens. That way we might be able to help.

Try Antix:
    It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.2GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd. A special XFCE edition made in collaboration with the MEPIS Community called MX-14 "Symbiosis" is also available.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Antix has "Cenni" which makes wifi connection easier.

It might be time to get a more modern laptop?
  • Thanks

Fortunately I have others computers but I would like to give this one to my young son with a distro with a minimum of "esthetic" I will try antix and elive.

What information do you need ?

thank you
  • I would suggest either Mint Linux (Xfce version) or Emmabuntus which is a version Ubuntu produced by the organisation Emmaus, for installation in older PC's. (I'm sure that you know the name Emmaus and their good works in the world-wide community. We have have an Emmaus dépôt-vente in our area.).

Good luck with your computer!

Michel.

Categories

Upcoming Training