Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Interested in Linux, Need Recommendations

Hello, I'm interested in learning to use Linux as a primary OS.

I have no experience in using Linux-base OSes, would someone here recommend one of the Linuxes to use as a base?

I'm planning on initially dual-booting with Linux and Windows 7 then eventually try to use a virtual machine to use both Linux and Windows simultaneously. And I'd like to know if it is possible to keep all the data, and not lose it, on my computer while doing this process.

I welcome any recommendations and helpful advice.

Comments

• You should be able to create a virtual hard drive (basically a save file) for your VM. I would recommend dual booting since VMs encounter slowdown with what they're trying to do. You could look at the popular Linux Mint or for a more Windows like experience, you could try Zorin OS. For something not in the Ubuntu line (Mint), I'd recommend looking at Red Hat based distros first.
  • Hello, I'm interested in learning to use Linux as a primary OS.
    I have no experience in using Linux-base OSes, would someone here recommend one of the Linuxes to use as a base?
    I'm planning on initially dual-booting with Linux and Windows 7 then eventually try to use a virtual machine to use both Linux and Windows simultaneously. And I'd like to know if it is possible to keep all the data, and not lose it, on my computer while doing this process.
    I welcome any recommendations and helpful advice.

You are new to Linux. I would recommend using a Linux operating system that is geared towards beginners to the system. Anything Ubuntu based would be a good start. Its goal is to create an easy to understand and use Linux OS. Mint is based on Ubuntu which is a more complete desktop system. If you are going to start from the beginning with Linux, choose the Latest Mint or Ubuntu version. I prefer to use Mint or Ubuntu that is using the XFCE desktop environment.

Mint 17 with XFCE

You can check out the official mint website for more detailed information on the operating system.

Lint Mint

Categories

Upcoming Training