Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Oh no not another complete Nooby

I have only ever used Windows OS starting with XP up to 8.1 then reinstalled W7 and have got completely fed up with the whole Microsoft and apps cash cow now that I have retired.

I have been looking at Zorin 9 LTS which I believe is based on Ubuntu but have a few questions.

1) will I need to install a firewall

2) Will I need to install anti spyware

3) Will need to install anti malware

4) How do I dual Boot or would it be better to do a clean install of Zorin

5) If I do a dual boot how do I eventually delete the Windows 7 partition

6)How do I transfer my music 180 mb, photos and word docs to Zorin. I have saved to an external drive.

I think that is enough questions for the time being any help will be gratefully recieved

Comments

• willytheworm
    willytheworm Posts: 13
    edited August 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVV-b6s5ysU&index=8&list=PLmvie4C-QPFdOnsRNKPAqQ5NTE_tJRjws

Watch the whole playlist, because answering all these questions would take too long for me :)
  • sidzen
    sidzen Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Welcome!
    OP said,
    " . . .
    1) will I need to install a firewall
    2) Will I need to install anti spyware
    3) Will need to install anti malware
    4) How do I dual Boot or would it be better to do a clean install of Zorin
    5) If I do a dual boot how do I eventually delete the Windows 7 partition
    6)How do I transfer my music 180 mb, photos and word docs to Zorin. I have saved to an external drive.
    . . . "
    NO
    NO
    NO
    Depends on how committed you are to leave Windoze.
    Make or buy a Win7 boot Disk, first; use Win7 to delete all but C:\ (system drive) and then shrink it to allow for only 40% unused space on this partition; use gparted to partition hard drive into three more partitions -- one of 20GB for /, one of ~2GB for swap and the remainder for /home; then flag the / (root) partition as bootable and install either your choice or my recommendation of Linux Lite
    You'll learn that after the install is successful.

Best wishes!

• Thanks willeytheworm and Sidze for the replies I Have started to watch the video's. I think I will do a clean install of Zoren otherwise I will Be tempted to go back to Windows as an easy option rather at looking this as a challenge, an adventure and a learning curve. once thanks for the help and advice.
  • bootneck02
    bootneck02 Posts: 27
    edited August 2014
    Just another question or two
    1)My PC is home built will the spec of this pc be OK for Zorin 9 LTS 64 bit:- CPU 233ghz Intel Q8200 4 core - Main Board ASUSTek P5Q De Lux - Video Card ATI Radeon HD4800 - 8 Gig Ram - C drive Samsung 2000GB - Sound Card Auzencheck X Meridian 7.Is that spec adequate for Zorin and the drivers supplied OK for the PC.

2) How do I download my music and files using wine or does Zorin do the transfer of files using wine automatically.

Sorry to be a pain but I have never done anything like this, treat me like a virgin, gently.
  • Thanks for Those words of advice Abarbarian. Well I have got my knickers in a twist over Zorin my inexperience and understanding of Linux I think and not the software its self. Firstly I downloaded Zorin off the net and although they give you the procedure but it is not self explanatory to a non Linux person for example:-

Once the .7z file has downloaded please check the md5sum to make sure that the file is not corrupted. The correctmdsum is
    a) If you use Windows. Check the mmd5sum with Nullnver's WinMD5Sum

What is that all about we are Windows users and are spoon fed, Ok I downloaded the Nullnver's WinMD5sum but what do I do with it. At that point came to a full stop and just ran the download as to be perfectly honest the instructions were beyond my capability as a home user and self taught Windows user. Any way I ran the download but it was corrupt and some of it ran and some of it did not. I would have downloaded from a DVD but Zorin have run out of run out of the preinstalled DVD's. The trouble is that when I rebooted the drive would not boot so now I have a 1500GB hard drive I cannot use.
    Luckly I had Windows on a different drive so I have re installed that. BUT I haven given up I have ordered a DVD with Zorin 9 LTS from Ebay and will have another go when it arrives. Any help from any one will be gratefully received but please in very simple terms as I am only a spoon-fed Windows amateur.

Categories

Upcoming Training