Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux is Easy????

Newbie to Linux, Long time Windows user. I have an HP Desktop, 4 years old, windows 7 preinstalled, 3 gb ram and 500 gb hd. Never once any problems until last week. I've read where Linux is so much easier then Windows and once you try it you never go back. Well I tried to install a dual boot with Elementary OS using something called "Grub". I lost my Windows 7 when Linux wiped it out and couldn't install Elementary OS. I read that Ubuntu has much more support help and to try that. I downloaded the iso and tried booting from flash drive and from disk. I've tried all day Sat and Sun to install Ubuntu 14.04. Only once did I get a full working system. When I sent back to the system this morning I couldn't boot into it.

So to make a long story short, I no longer have a Windows 7 operating system and I've yet to get any type of Linux distro in a permanent working state. And yet most people who use Linux swear to how good it is!!

Wish I was one of those - Unhappy so far - David

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    It may not be easier. It is different. There is a learning curve, just like there is a learning curve moving from Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 8.

We are here to help with problems, but you need to fully describe what your problems are.

Why could you not install Elementary OS. What happened? What did you see?

What do you mean "I couldn't boot into it." What happened? What did you see?

• Linux wiped out your windows!?! Normally you should be able to get rid of grub, when you boot to your windows-cd/rom and select the repair option.

Categories

Upcoming Training