Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

changing mac adress very hard!help

mondrago2
mondrago2 Posts: 4

hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b.

ok so this is what ive tryed.

sudo su=xxxx

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down.

sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

ifconfig

now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66.

when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter.

now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer.

then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress.

so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1,

so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........

ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress.

so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS

Comments

• kotten
    kotten Posts: 3
    I suppose linux 14.04 means ubuntu 14.04 LTS

On Debian, Ubuntu, and similar systems, place the following in the appropriate section of /etc/network/interfaces (within an iface stanza, e.g., right after the gateway line) so that the MAC address is set when the network device is started:

hwaddress ether 02:01:02:03:04:08

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Changing_Your_MAC_Address/Linux

tried something like that?
    Maybe you need to change ether I am not sure as it is a wireless device.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    mondrago2 wrote:
    hello guys, ok so ive spend cople of houers, neh allmost all day trying to change my macadress manually, im using a wifi hp probook 6560b.

ok so this is what ive tryed.

sudo su=xxxx
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down.
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 11.22.33.44.55.66
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig
    now this have changed to 11.22.33.44.55.66.

when i reconect its the old hw adress agen, even ive delete the old internet conection for the ruter.

now ive ben trying to go into the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and its the old adress, and when i then change the adress there agen to 11.22.33.44.55.66 i get this message active conection failed, so then i restarted my computer.

then i go to terminal ifconfig and yeay! now we got the new conection! the wlan1 actually witch have ben added with the same old fantastic adress.

so i looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules agen, and there where added the wlan1,

so something must have ben asked the device: is this your hw adress? no its........
    ah okey il make a wlan1 with that adress.

so i tryed to maby find the file that ask for the adress and maby say this is the dault, but turnd up its really hard when you dont know how to program, or even know how linux where buildt up, this will probably take years, so i thought that, why not ask the community, so here i am, so any one have any idea's? linux 14.04 LTS

There are sources of information that outline procedures for changing a MAC address in linux. To permenantly do it in Ubuntu, you much change the interface text file, /etc/network/interfaces.

Here another link to add to the one above.

Changing your mac address in ubuntu

Categories

Upcoming Training