Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu and Xubuntu on same computer??

I had Ubuntu 14.04 Unity installed and it was/is running well. I read an article by Carla Schroder at linux.com titled The 7 Best Linux Distros for 2014.

In the article she stated that if you were running Ubuntu Unity and did not like it that you could install Xubuntu via apt-get install xubuntu-desktop and then when you booted your computer you could choose which one you wanted to use, in my case it would have been Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

Well I did as she suggested and Xubuntu seemed to install well. However, when I re-booted my computer I was not given the option of which version I wanted to use. The computer booted straight to Xubuntu. What am I missing here?? Any help would be much appreciated, as I am a newly converted Windows user. :):)

Thank you for your time.

--

JamesKB

Comments

• JamesKB
    JamesKB Posts: 3
    Here is some additional information.

When I boot the computer, the OS splash screen says/shows Xubuntu. However when I look at Settings->About this computer it tells me that the OS is Ubuntu?? See attached image.

Any ideas??
    --
    JamesKB
  • arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    Are you using automatic login?

Normally on the page where you login, where you put in your username and password, there is an option to choose the Desktop Environment e.g. Gnome or Xfce.

Xubuntu is a Canonical officially distro, so there should be no great surprise if it says "Ubuntu" is the OS.
  • JamesKB
    JamesKB Posts: 3
    Ahhhhh..... I found it. I had to click the little icon in the upper right hand cornor of the login screen and was able to choose which desktop environment I wanted. Thanks for the tip.

Have a good day.
    --
    JamesKB

Categories

Upcoming Training