Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Can't install. Help!

Hi, everyone. I'm completely new to Linux, but I really wanted to try it for a very long time. So, since I had a very old pc that worked on Windows XP, I decided to pluck up my courage and install Linux.

I'm an all or nothing person, so delete XP to only keep Linux.

My driver has 250 GB memory. I created a mounting partition of 30720 MB for the system, a swap area of 10000 MB and kept the rest for home. However the installation always gets stuck at the creating partition points. I have restarted the installation for about four time and it always gets stuck at the creating partitions point for hours and then at some point the screen either gets black or it takes the form of a screensaver that shows a big clock with the linux logo behind.

What do I do? *cries*

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    1) What distro of Linux do you want to install?

2) Some Linux Distros will automagically set up the partitions for you, so you do not have to do this yourself.

3) How much RAM have you got?

• andracld
    andracld Posts: 6
    edited April 2014
    1. Linux 16 Cinnammon.
    3. 250. I think I already mentioned it. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in computer language.
    Additional details: I have tried installing Ubuntu too, and the same thing happens.
  • arochester
    1) Make sure that you ISO was correct. Look here for DVD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    (Look at Verifying the ISO integrity)
    Look here for USB Flash Drive: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

2) Your Hard Drive might be 250Gb, but RAM memory is different/

3) If you are going to use Linux Mint the Install will give you a screen for "Installation Type". Just go with the default "Guided- Use Entire Disk" and it will sort out Partitions for you.
  • andracld
    Oh, right. I think the RAM is 4 GB. But I'm not entirely sure. It's been a few years since i bought it and haven't updated any hardware.
    I installed from DVD. Burned it two times, but I might try it one more time to make sure. Btw, At the beginning of installation I don't see all the options menu (that includes check CD for defects or start in safe mode). So, i don't see the Installation Type either.
    Does this mean the CD is defect to begin with?

• arochester
    It might be the ISO that is wrong - so anything you burn to a DVD is therefore wrong. Check the ISO.

Do not use a CD-RW. Always use a CD-R.

Burn at a low speed.

http://www.tecmint.com/linux-mint-16-installation-guide/
  • andracld
    thank you. I'll try downloading the ISO again and I'll be back with an update.
  • andracld
    I downloaded the iso again, burned it with the slowest speed. The problem is repeating.
    No options menu. Stuck at partitioning.
  • andracld
    Bump
    Anyone has any more ideas?
    I have also tried to install from an external HDD because I thought my optical drive might be messed up but it gets stuck at the same place.

Categories

Upcoming Training