Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

gstreamer

Options

hi all. i v got linux ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and every time i try to uninstall something or install it wont let. it wont even let me to install updates. on update list i v got gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad but i cant put tick on it and it also says that its a distribution update. so every time i try to install updates or install some software or uninstall something this comes up in terminal:

(reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:

unable to open files list file for package 'linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-11-generic' : stale NFS file handle

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

can you help me please. thanks a lot.

Comments

• Xipher_Zero
    Options
    david93 wrote:
    hi all. i v got linux ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and every time i try to uninstall something or install it wont let. it wont even let me to install updates. on update list i v got gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad but i cant put tick on it and it also says that its a distribution update. so every time i try to install updates or install some software or uninstall something this comes up in terminal:

(reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to open files list file for package 'linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-11-generic' : stale NFS file handle
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

can you help me please. thanks a lot.

David,
    Open a terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get purge

These will remove the incorrectly downloaded package and reset your apt database. Now issue the following command to update your database:

sudo apt-get update

Lastly issue this command to upgrade all your packages:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope that helps!
    Cheers
  • david93
    david93 Posts: 7
    Options
    thank you very much for trying to help but it didnt work. this come up as a result;

(Reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to open files list file for package `linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic': Stale NFS file handle
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    david93 wrote:
    thank you very much for trying to help but it didnt work. this come up as a result;

(Reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to open files list file for package `linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic': Stale NFS file handle

Sounds like you're accessing the packages via an NFS share? Have you tried rebooting the client?
  • david93
    Options
    sorry but what do you mean by rebooting client?
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    david93 wrote:
    sorry but what do you mean by rebooting client?
    sorry - reboot your laptop. by client, i meant "NFS client" - assuming that your laptop is using an NFS server. I was just guessing at that, based upon the error you posted.
  • david93
    Options
    oh i did reboot my laptop but it the same thing coming up all the time. i think there is some kind of bug or something like that. cos i cant remove or install anything.
  • mark456
    mark456 Posts: 2
    Options
    GStreamer is a pipeline based multimedia framework written in the C programming language with the type system based on GObject. GStreamer allows a programmer to create a variety of media-handling components, including simple audio playback, audio and video playback, recording, streaming, and editing. The pipeline design serves as a base to create many types of multimedia applications such as video editors, streaming media broadcasters, and media players.

mark456

bluetooth motorcycle intercom
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    It may be that the server needs to be rebooted. The apt repositories on the server might be NFS mounted. Are you using a local server?
  • david93
    Options
    thank you very much for your help guys. i v done it. i updated my system offline and i also changed server link for updates and that solved. thank you very much appreciate it lol

Categories

Upcoming Training