Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Unable to connect Wireless

I have managed to install Broadcom BCM43228 Wireless adapter on a laptop running CentOS 5.9 using instructions at:

wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom

I had the problem "Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A): SET failed on device... mentioned on the same page and solved it following the instructions at:

wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager

After reboot the NetworkManager is enabled showing all the available networks. However, with regular user the request for default keyring password was popping-up again and again and was not accepting any password. I logged in as root and was able to set the keyring password.

When I select the network from drop down menu of NetworkManager a pop-up shows up asking for:

Authentication required by Wireless Network

Password or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network 'blade'

Wireless security: WPA & WPA Personal

Password:

It fails to connect even I verified the SSID and password is correct which works fine under Windows 7.

I have also tried to configure system-config-network GUI but unable to activate the wireless adapter (eth1) and cannot File->Save the setting with the following error:

Component: system-config-network

Version: 1.3.99.21

Summary: TBf6c835f4 NCHardwareList.py:482:save:AttributeError: HwWireless instance has no attribute 'type' ...

I also found the following link and now confused (establish a Wifi connection at system startup (without login)...). Do I need to use wpa_supplicant or NetworkManager?

forums.oracle.com/thread/1118672

Can anyone please help to resolve this issue.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    In NetworkManager, checking "Connect Automatically" and "System Connection" starts my ethernet and wireless connections at boot.
  • Ok, some progress in debugging but still problem is not solved. I created a new network connection from NetworkManager and when tried to connect, a SELinux AVC denial message appeared with the following detail.

SELinux is preventing NetworkManager (NetworkManager_t) "execute" to ./dnsmasq (dnsmasq_exec_t).

Detailed Description:
    SELinux denied access requested by NetworkManager. It is not expected that this access is required by NetworkManager and this access may signal an intrusion attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or configuration of the application is causing it to require additional access.

Allowing Access:
    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux denials. You could try to restore the default system file context for ./dnsmasq,

restorecon -v './dnsmasq'

If this does not work, there is currently no automatic way to allow this access. Instead, you can generate a local policy module to allow this access - see FAQ (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385) Or you can disable SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux protection is not recommended. Please file a bug report (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi) against this package.

Additional Information:
    Source Context: system_u:system_r:NetworkManager_t
    Target Context: system_u:object_r:dnsmasq_exec_t
    Target Objects: ./dnsmasq [ file ]
    Source: NetworkManager
    Source Path: /usr/sbin/NetworkManager
    Port: <Unknown>
    Source RPM Packages: NetworkManager-0.7.0-13.el5
    Policy RPM: selinux-policy-2.4.6-338.el5
    Selinux Enabled: True
    Policy Type: targeted
    MLS Enabled: True
    Enforcing Mode: Enforcing
    Plugin Name: catchall_file
    Platform: Linux 2.6.18-348.el5 #1 SMP

I am not willing to disable SELinux protection and don't know how to create a local policy module. Any suggestion to resolve this issue?

Categories

Upcoming Training