Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

External Monitor: Random Solid color of either RGB

I fixed a brightness issue on my laptop and now when I plug in my external display, it shuts off my laptop's screen, and makes the external display a solid red, green, yellow, or blue... To fix it, I have to force shut-down and re-boot because it won't revert if I unplug the external display. I know the cable is fine because it works when I do this using Windows.

Specs: Acer Aspire V5

Processor: i3

um... If you need any more information, tell me how to get it. I'm still learning the ropes to linux (and the way Windows 8 is going, I may switch to linux entirely... W8 sucks, and 8.1 is going to be worse...)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It sounds like an issue with how you video driver is configured, can you tell us what video card you are using, what distro you are using, and if you manually configured the video output or if it was auto-configured.
  • iwishiknew
    iwishiknew Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    I am using Ubuntu.

Specs:

Graphics Driver: Unknown
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2377M CPU @ 1.50GHz × 4
    OS Architecture: 64 bit

This laptop was released last christmas, so it is fairly new... New enough to have Windows 8 (the one that utterly sucks).

Since the only thing that has changed was a modification to allow the OS to change screen brightness, I can only assume that it might be the problem.

I actually think it might be trying to modify the brightness of my external monitor, and since the brightness of it can not be chenged through software, it's puking over it.

Is there somthing I can do about it?

EDIT: I've done lots of research, and no results so far... Also, I thought it might be worth adding that the monitor is an Envision-brand monitor. If you need the serial number, feel free to ask. Thanks for the help ahead of time!! :)

Categories

Upcoming Training