Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

downloading in linux

Is there a way to download ANYTHING in LINUX NOT using the command line approach? A special downloader that uses EXE files like WINDOWS? Preferably without saving it first? Installing from the SOFTWARE CENTER is easy. downloading items NOT in the center is not. How to make the download to leave a desktop icon automatically? If not how do drag it from the tray or MENU list? I need a LINUX OS that operates like WINDOWS. So far I do not like any of them. They are only variations of each other. Nothing resembling WINDOWS behavior. Does such a version even sxhist?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    There are alternatives such as kget or others listed at http://alternativeto.net/software/kget/?platform=linux. My favorite of that software type is flashget for windows.

With your complaints about things not working like windows it may be best for you to run windoss, with all tasks you use the right tool for the job and in some cases it may be windows or apple.

With enough patience you can get anything to ask as you wish, which is what makes linux compelling to many people but you need to know what specifically you want before you can find the right utilities.

Also, the reason why most linux help on the internet referes to the command line is because it is far faster and more accurate to type a command than instruct someone through several mouse actions. Just because we refer to the command line often does not mean that it is the only way to accomplish a task.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson Posts: 5
    edited June 2013
    rtrg wrote:
    Is there a way to download ANYTHING in LINUX NOT using the command line approach?

Linux has about ten web browsers to choose from. (How many does Windows offer?) All of them download things by clicking or right clicking.

I see the command-line and scripting as empowerment, so it's hard for me to identify with your complaint. But I believe Gnome and KDE are both frequently criticized for being too much like Windows. You may just need to install some more bells and whistles.
  • MayHem
    MayHem Posts: 1
    I am a newbie with Linux and am struggling with getting what I want and need. However, the struggle is instructive and helping understand how things work. However, I have not been able to engage the terminal. No matter what I type in or whose instructions I follow letter by letter, I have yet to get anything done in the terminal. In short, I hate that thing. I am far more comfortable using windows and tabs as in MS. Then all the terminology is just Greek to me. I understand that the terminal is faster. I rather take the extra steps and encounter less frustration.

How can I launch apps e.g., YouTube downloader. I downloaded it but I have no icon and what I see on my desk top is a generic folder for it. I thank you in advance for any help with this.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If I understand which app you are using, then it would be youtube-dl which is a command line app. This may present an issue with your difficulty with the command line, but that pp is rather easy to use for basic needs however you must understand that not all videos are donwloadable. The basic use of the program is typing the command name "youtube-dl" followed by pasting the address of the file you want to download. You can view the other option by typing "youtube-dl --help", however I have not yet found a need to use any of the options.
  • this is for the linux distributions that are out use this link this will take you to the linux distributions that have currently been developed
  • begueradj
    begueradj Posts: 19
    Hello

I always use this command on Ubuntu:

wget "link_to_file_to_download" -O -filename.extension

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training